Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
M Walczak

Default DIY Yeast method materials...

Jason I would suggest going to "the container store" in which they sell,
solvent bottles, ~2l glass bottles which I can attest as a chemist and
personal user for CO2 is the Best container for DIY CO2. Thankfully I can
get them for free.
I am making a new co2 reactor that uses an empty wine jug (glass) and has

bit more solid structure.... This is the reason I am looking for a blow
valve is so I can make sure that too much pressure doesn't build... I

might
just use a rubber stopper (with a copper tube coming out of it... easily
aquired at a scientific supply type store) and a check valve... but the
benefit would be a bigger water/sugar/yeast concoction that produces more
co2

"Trygve Lillefosse" wrote in message
So here is my question: Does anyone know of a good or common place to

get
blow valve? (I.e. a valve that will discharge within a certain PSI

range)
would like to make my DIY system fault tolerant, but I am just stumped

on
where to get the blow valve... any ideas? Thanks!

The pressure will not be able to build up since it will go out the
airstone. Would'nt be to concerned.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
M Walczak

Im sorry for not understanding, but what is a bung Im curious?
"Alan Silver"
wrote in
message
In article , Jason
writes
Yes but I am looking for a blow valve as a precaution against the
possibility of the airstone getting clogged and causing my 2 liter
bottle to explode

If you are using a standard plastic soda/lemonade bottle, then I
wouldn't worry. They are designed to a) withstand far greater pressures
than your DIY CO2 set up can produce and b) allow excess gas to seep
through, preventing explosions.

Think about it, the gas produce by even mildly shaking a new lemonade
bottle is way more than any DIY CO2 set up can manage.

(I have seen pictures and read postings on this happening.)

Have you actually seen any confirmed reports of this happening ? In all
my years of using these newsgroups (about six or seven I think), I don't
remember ever seeing an actual confirmed report of explosion. I've seen
a few scare stories, plenty of hypothesis and so on, but no confirmed
reports.

And if they were any, it would almost certainly be due to a poor set up.
As mentioned above, a plastic bottle shouldn't gve any cause for worry.

Finally, my DIY CO2 set up has a plastic bung in the bottle. This can be
removed fairly easily (which is how I renew the mixture). If the
pressure were to build up in there, the bung would pop out long before
we got anywhere near an explosion. Again, a small amount of common sense
removes all fears from the scaremongers.

HTH

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "furryferret" if replying by e-mail

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jason

Mr. Walczak... Thanks for the tip! I'll go find "the container store" and
see if I can get an appropriately sized bottle... do you by chance know of a
website they may have so I can find the store nearest me? Or possibly order
online? Thanks again!

-Jason

hlink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
chet

A champagne bottle is designed to contain very high pressure. A "magnum"
should be more than adequate. And think of the fun you'll have collecting
the construction materials. I think I should pop over to the "container"
store right away and select an appropriately sized bottle.

;^D

chet

"Jason" wrote in message
. com...
Mr. Walczak... Thanks for the tip! I'll go find "the container store"

and
see if I can get an appropriately sized bottle... do you by chance know of

website they may have so I can find the store nearest me?

snip

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Scott Lewis

wiggywacker wrote:

Do you think it's ok that the outlet of the co2 concoction gets piped into
the inlet of an air pump?

That's what I've just done today...can't find an easier way to get the co2
into the tank otherwise. Actually I've used two pieces of tubing out from
the bottle and it rests underneath the air pump near the inlet, and I
removed the air filter too to give easier intake.

Somehow I doubt that slightly enriching the air being blown into the tank with
CO2 is going to make much of a difference.

The powerhead is internal =/
But I've ordered a special valve that will suck air and mix it in a chamber
with the water from the outlet, and it will jet very fine bubbles into the
aquarium...so I think I can do it with the co2 going into the valve
directly. The valve is called an "Air Ventura" from Juwel
www.juwelaquarium.de

This idea conjures up visions of collapsed bottles and yeasty mixtures being
sucked into the ventura. Better find one of those magnum champagne bottles for
this project.

Scott

"kush" wrote in message
Plans? We don't need no steenkin' plans!

Poke a hole in the cap of a 2-liter soda bottle, insert some tubing and
seal it with aquarium sealant. Wait a couple of days for it to set. Put
1.5 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp. yeast and a pinch of baking soda (optional) in
the bottle and fill to the shoulder with warm-not-hot water. Shake
vigorously. Screw the cap on the bottle and insert the other end of the
tube wherever you want the CO2 to go i.e., filter intake, powerhead,
airstone, diffusing chamber. Wait an hour or so for the bubbles to start.
Lasts approximately two weeks.

If the bottle is going to be lower than the tank, for instance in a

cabinet
underneath, you probably want to put a one-way valve on the tubing.

kush

Phil Williamson wrote in message
can you send me your plans and possibly a picture of your co2 injector?

Regards,

Phil..

"Jason @hotmail.com" jasonjudkinsspamremoval wrote in message
. com...
Hey folks, I built my DIY yeast co2 injector for my 63 gal tank, it

works
great! just used a 2 liter bottle, tubing, fine airstone w/ check

valve...
Each concoction produces co2 for about a week and a half... I am very
happy
with it

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Da' Fishboy

LOL

I have never collapsed a 2 liter pop bottle with the venturi of a powerhead.
I would rather have the bubble go through the rotor blades of the powerhead
as it dices up the bubbles much better. I use a penguin 600R and route the
airline tubing into the end of the sponge filter. This works great for the
75Gal tank I have right now.

I have also used the intake of an aquaclear mini - 200 but the sound of the
bubbles being diced is more than I can handle.

If you have a tank over 50 gallons I would recommend using a 1 gal apple
juice plastic bottle. The plastic is thick and the cap has a good seal to
it.

The amount of yeast is not very important to the mixture as the amount of
sugar and water is. The amount of sugar can be used as a control over the
multiplication of the yeast spores. The wall that you are fighting against
is when the water becomes toxic with alcohol. Therefore I add about a 1 cup
sugar to start with and then feed the mixture each week a new 1/2 cup of
sugar. I am on week 5-6 and the mixture is still going but reduced in
production.

My question would be if one removed the water mixture and retained the yeast
spore could one refill the mixture with "clean" water and fresh sugar to
restart it? Would by retaining only the most alcohol resistant spores would
one gain production over the long term?

"Jason" wrote in message
.com...
Yes but I am looking for a blow valve as a precaution against the
possibility of the airstone getting clogged and causing my 2 liter bottle

explode (I have seen pictures and read postings on this happening.) Since

have read interest from people I will describe my setup, and I will post a
picture of it later (although its pretty simple)

1) Get 2 liter bottle (I got a $.49 seltzer water bottle since its clear)
2) Drilled 1/4 hole in top of cap and silicon sealed tubing inside of it
3) Since my co2 reactor will be beneath my tank, I have installed a
check-valve on the line to prevent reverse-siphoning
4) Recipe I put in bottle is 6 cups water (~1.5 liters) 1 cup sugar, 1/4
tspn baking soda, and 1 tspn of yeast (NOT the instant yeast, but bakers
yeast) (I might add that the baking soda DOES help in the co2 production)

I run the airstone end of the tube down to the bottom of my aquariium and
anchor it there with one of my rocks.

For those of you who suggest running the co2 outtake to a powerhead...

DONT
DO IT... this is for the simple fact that even a very small powerhead will
pull more air that the co2 reactor can provide, this results in a very

good
probability that your 2 liter bottle will collapse from pressure. (Thus
sucking that nasty concoction into your tank and probably killing some
fish/plants) It is best to put the the airstone underneath a flow of water
so it circulates within the tank and has more time to diffuse.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Rich Conley

Sounds like it would work to me...alchy is lighter than water, right, so if you
removed the water above the yeast/sugar crud at the bottom, I hink you would get
most of the alchohol. If you then add more water, this would be diluting the
alchohol levels, kind of like when you dilute nitrates in a tank....

I could be completely wrong though.
Rich

Da' Fishboy wrote:

[...]

.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Da' Fishboy

You could get a DIY system to explode if you used a needle value to slow the
release of the CO2 production thereby developing a back pressure.

I am betting most cases are due to lack of a one way valve in the CO2
system.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Jason" wrote:

So here is my question: Does anyone know of a good or common place to get a
blow valve? (I.e. a valve that will discharge within a certain PSI range) I
would like to make my DIY system fault tolerant, but I am just stumped on
where to get the blow valve... any ideas? Thanks!

I've just finished making my DIY CO2 system also, though instead of an
airstone I've just got the end of the airline tube tucked below a
'bell' to capture the CO2. Not as efficient as some methods, I
understand, but it's got a lot going for it in the simplicity and
not-exploding department.

But while tinkering with it, I got to wondering about the same thing
your asking - blow valves. Since I'm using an open air line, I
*shouldn't* have to be concerned with the bottle exploding, but still.

So, I was wondering about simply adding a T in the airline very near
to the bottle, and putting a simple child's balloon on it. I can see
several benefits...

- it serves as a visual warning system, since a big red balloon is
likely to get your attention a lot faster than a lack of a bubble
every five seconds.

- it could also serve as a visual indicator that the CO2 system is
working, depending on the back-pressure in the system. It only takes a
small amount of pressure to fill a balloon to its normal 'unstretched'
shape, after which gas would vent into the tank as intended. When the
balloon fully deflated, you could see at a glance that there was no
longer gas being produced, and the yeast mixture needs replaced.

- a balloon over-full of CO2 should pop much more easily, and with far
less mess, than a 2-liter plastic bottle full of yeasty sugar water.

- when it pops, you not only get the alarm sound of the balloon
popping, you have an open path for any further gas to escape.

- balloons are really cheap

Of course, it would only work in a system where the pressure required
to push gas through the outlet (be it an airstone or just an open
airline) is less than required to fully inflate the balloon. Having
blown air through and airstone and into a balloon, I expect that would
be most systems.

A real DIY enthusiast might rig a pin near the balloon to encourage it
to pop upon reaching a certain size, rather than needing a critical
gas pressure. Even safer as a valve, since it would blow at a lower
pressure.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jason Judkins

I actually went out and bought one of those cheap 4liter bottles of wine and
dumped it out (a worthy $6 investment)... I use that now with a rubber
stopper I purchased at Ace hardware for about $1.50, and a piece of copper
tubing I also got at Ace for about .49/foot and it works great!

"Da' Fishboy" wrote in message
I want a 2liter glass bottle me me me me I wanta I wanta!!!

grin

hlink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jason Judkins

Dude! What a kick-ass idea! I will try that... That's a good one, did you
find that in an article or did you think it up? I like it... very clever
Thanks again!

-Jason

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Rich Conley

One issue may be that balloons seem to be semi-porous....how they deflate even
wihthout being popped over a couple days....you may end up lowering co2
production by a lot, by using this.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
kush

Da' Fishboy wrote ...

I have never collapsed a 2 liter pop bottle with the venturi of a

powerhead.

I HAVE. Believe that it can be done. Now I use the juice bottle.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Jason Judkins" wrote:

Dude! What a kick-ass idea! I will try that... That's a good one, did you
find that in an article or did you think it up? I like it... very clever
Thanks again!

I came up with it on my own, but I'm sure I'm not the first one to
think of it.

--
www.ericschreiber.com