Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Donovan N

Default Floating plants

Can anybody suggest an undemanding floating plant that I can add to my
aquarium to make the cardnial tetras feel a bit more secure?

Also, while I'm here... Any suggestions on a particular type of cory
that can be added to a six gallon tank? i.e. a species that stays small.

thanks for the input

--donovan

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Bruce Geist

Hornwort. It grows like mad, and requires little. I don't grow it any
longer, since it is purely a floating plant, and it grows so dang fast, it
tends to shade stuff beneath it in a hurry. But for cardinals in a small
tank, you'll have fun with it.

-Bruce Geist

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Arild Madsen

Donovan N wrote:
Also, while I'm here... Any suggestions on a particular type of cory
that can be added to a six gallon tank? i.e. a species that stays small.

Corydoras pygmeus and hastatus are both smal corrys.
Can also recommend a look at fishbase.org

Arild Madsen

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Dave Painter

Donovan N wrote in message
Can anybody suggest an undemanding floating plant that I can add to my
aquarium to make the cardnial tetras feel a bit more secure?

Also, while I'm here... Any suggestions on a particular type of cory
that can be added to a six gallon tank? i.e. a species that stays small.

thanks for the input

--donovan

Duckweed, grows like crazy you just have to run a net around the tank every
so often
then dump the contents on the compost heap.

Dave

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jason

Hornwort and Anacharis are good floaters... Tetras will love them...
Hornwort DOES grow amazingly fast though

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
LeighMo

Duckweed, grows like crazy you just have to run a net around the tank every
so often
then dump the contents on the compost heap.

Duckweed grows a little *too* well. It might become a horrible pest.

I like water sprite for a floating plant. It's much easier to control than
duckweed, Salvinia, or frogbit.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Allen Smith

I'd give frogbit a try. It's larger than duckweed and much easier to
control and needs much less light. I've tried water lettuce, duckweed
and frog bit and frog bit is by far my favorite. Especially if you let
their roots grow long into the tank and let the fish swim between the
long slightly furry roots. They seem to enjoy it and feel very
comfortable. Duckweed takes a lot more light than other floating
plants (IMHO), and I could never get it to take off well even with
220W of CFL lightning in a 72. Water lettuce grows very slowly and I
didn't like the look of it much. I don't know the lighting
requirements for water lettuce.

Best of luck.