Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

Default Brown stuff on gravel

I have a smattering of some brown fuzzy stuff over an area of my gravel. it
is a patch in the centre. it looks like a fine build up of dirt. is this
algae? if so what sort?

Thanks

Stu

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
kush

Probably diatoms, usually symptomatic of some combination of nitrate, oxygen
deficiency, and insufficient lighting. Recommendation: change water,
increase wattage and/or period of lighting, and add snails or ottos.

kush

. ..

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Haywire

Kush,

explain these diatoms to me please, I've been having a battle with what I
think was poop on the bottom of the tank, but now I've got algae giving me
greif again, and I've clumps of this stuff moving around the bottom of the
tank in the current.

"kush" wrote in
:

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

Hi Kush,

Appreciate the advise, however, I do regular water changes on this tank as
it contains baby guppies, and my nitrates are never above about 15ppm.
I have a UGF and a sponge filter running, with about 12" of fish all
together, in a 10UK Gal
The light is a 25W on for about 13hours a day.

I have a few vallis and a bit of eloda. I did a gravel vac last night and
the stuff was really hard to get off the gravel and larger pebbles.

is there any brown algae that grows in high light conditions?

Can you give me any advise on a cat fish for an Indian or south Asian
biotype tank. once my guppies are all gone I am having a tank of gouramis so
I would like a catfish or two from around India or south Asia.

Cheers

Stu

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
kush

You've got me, Stu. What kind of light are you using? If it's not
incandescent and anywhere over 5000k you should have lighting handled - In
fact, I would have thought 13 hours too much.

I'd still recommend snails. They're great scavengers for guppy fry (of
which I have a few tanks, myself) and I'm sure no one would question their
provence in an asian tank. I don't know about asian cats - how about shrimp?

I have a tendency in my fry tanks of not vacuuming the gravel well for fear
of vacuuming guppies. This could (and I'm stretching) result in an oxygen
deficiency.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

I do think I have a bit too much light, it is a 25w striplight only 12"
across though. I have just got some hygrophilia and a few borneo swords for
the tank so it is now a lot more planted. I was going to change the 25W
light to an 8w tropical light (one of those that gives out a pinkish colour)
do you think this will be a problem for my plants that I have? (tank size
18x12x12).

Don't snails over run the tank if not kept in order, what snails would you
recommend for algae eating (so I can look them up).

Thanks for your help Kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
kush

25 watts over a 10 gallon is great. How old is the bulb? Fluorescent bulbs
do have to be changed every year or so.

It's hard for me to give advice about snails - at least good advice. But
here's kush on snails in the aquarium...

I have never bought a snail. I have, however, bought a lot of mail-order
plants with snails and snail eggs attached. Most get eaten by fish. Of the
ones that don't, as they get larger, some eat plants and some don't. The
ones that eat plants get crushed and fed to the guppies. The ones that
don't, get to reproduce. All my community tanks contain fish that eat eggs
and very small snails and somehow, in the guppy tanks, the snails seem to
regulate their own numbers. In twenty-something years I've never had a tank
over-run with snails.

I've never obsessed much about what kind of snails I have. Ramshorns have a
good reputation in the planted tank and, in fact, I think most of mine
probably are ramshorns. I have something else that looks like a teensy
half-melted football with a glassy, almost transparent shell that hitchhiked
in on a chunk of java moss a couple of years ago and does an amazing job of
keeping one of my small fry tanks clean - every time I've tried to establish
it in another tank the bigger fish eat it.

kush

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

The bulbs about 5 weeks old =)

time to get finding some snails. I wanted to go for an oto, but they don't
really fit in with my biotype (being from south America) I could go for a
SAE (or is it a CAE).

Cheers for the help kush

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM
Help, rusty brown stuff growing in my tank! goosefork Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 03-06-2004 11:02 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Ummmm Brown Stuff? ConvictKid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM