Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
The Nymans

Default CO2 reacter set-ups in the USA?

Can someone recommend a vendor in the States (mail-order okay) that sells
quality CO2 set-ups and is known for great customer support/care?

Thanks,
John

--
John's homepage can be found @ http://www.nemo97.com (I promise there is
something there this time!)

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
The Nymans

wrote:

Can someone recommend a vendor in the States (mail-order okay) that sells
quality CO2 set-ups and is known for great customer support/care?

Thanks,
John

www.aquabotanic.com

AquaBotanic offers the following... pardon the lack of knowledge what all
the parts do...

"Aqua Botanic System 2 for large aquaria

75 to 500 gallons

High quality German made regulator/needle valve and featuring the Reactor
1000 external reactor, (connects to a cannister filter or sump), bubble
counter, 10 ft of tubing.

$213.20

with solenoid $273.00"

What does a solenoid do? Is it really necessary?

The System 1 they offer said it needed an additional pump, this one doesn't.
Why?

Thanks for trying to unconfuse me.

John

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Aqua

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Iain Miller

AquaBotanic offers the following... pardon the lack of knowledge what all
the parts do...

"Aqua Botanic System 2 for large aquaria

75 to 500 gallons

High quality German made regulator/needle valve and featuring the Reactor
1000 external reactor, (connects to a cannister filter or sump), bubble
counter, 10 ft of tubing.

$213.20

with solenoid $273.00"
What does a solenoid do? Is it really necessary?

The solenoid allows you to put it on a timer (with your lights) so that you
can turn the CO2 off at night automatically. If you want to run reasonably
high levels of CO2 - say 25-30ppm you would need to do this because over
night the plants stop taking in CO2 and start giving it off. Therefore if
you don't stop the CO2 supply the levels can build to being to high and
dangerous for your fish. On the other hand if you run CO2 at a moderate
level - say 10-15ppm you would probably get away without this.

The solenoid is also used in conjunction with a Ph controller (which is
kinda overkill but I do like mine ;-) )This then allows you to set the CO2
levels fairly exactly since the Ph of the water will vary in direct relation
to CO2 concentration.

The System 1 they offer said it needed an additional pump, this one

doesn't.
Why?

The pump will be to operate the CO2 reactor/difusor. If the one you are
looking at has a more simple bubble ramp or spiral then it doesn't need a
pump - but its also not as effective and would not allow you to get to over
20ppm in my experience.

If you do a search of the web/google there are lots of ideas for DIY CO2
reactors - everything from converted gravel cleaners through upside down
internal filters through people who bubble it into the intake of an external
cannister filter. This is what I do although I have a pond cannister filter
in line with my Eheims as a pre-filter. The water collects from two inlets
on the tank, down into the pond filter which acts as a mechanical filter and
then out into two Eheim cannisters which are stuffed full of Bio media. I've
only just put this together and its working very well - the plan is to clean
the pond filter every couple of weeks in tap water to actually prevent any
bio filter growing in it - that way all the bio work will be done in the
Eheims - which should almost never need cleaning.

Because the pond filter is top entry - the water goes in and down the
outside and then comes back up a tube in the middle (past a UV light) so it
also happens to make a very efficient CO2 reactor! My Eheims never "burb"
CO2.

HTH

I.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
The Nymans

Thanks,
This is the type of info I was looking for. :O)

John

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Nice run down and links.
But I don't like those valves they sell, I've used them and measure
the pH accurately, for another 6.00 $ I'll keep the clippard needle
valves, they are worth the $ and also do much better for branching T
systems with more than a single CO2 line for multiple tanks. A
difference of 6$ is certainly worth this upgrade.
Everything else is good, silicone tubing is great and not using the
poly tubing but rather remove the stock valve, add a 1/4"male to
1/8"female brass bushing, add threaed 1/8" sizing parts, T's etc to
suit the system and CO2 needs.

Running the higher pressure will waste the CO2 more through the line.
When the gas leaves the needle valve, it will only have a pressure of
1psi maybe 2psi vs 15psi. Silicone is a very material for CO2 lines
and is cheap.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Aquatic-store.com

IHello John,
I sell these on my website and am actually having a sale. $10 bucks
over wholesale. Check it out and let me know what you think.
You can call me as well 847-473-4732 if you have any questions.

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-store.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM

"Aqua" wrote in message ...
Tom,

Nice run down and links.
But I don't like those valves they sell, I've used them and measure
the pH accurately, for another 6.00 $ I'll keep the clipart needle
valves, they are worth the $ and also do much better for branching T
systems with more than a single CO2 line for multiple tanks. A
difference of 6$ is certainly worth this upgrade.

I went to http://www.clippard.com and they have different kind of needle
valves. I think you are talking about series 4 needle valves. They have 8
models. Could you (or someone) please let me know which model is good for a
5LB CO2 tank and for a single aquarium (I am not going to branch the CO2
line).

http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...sp?sku=MNV-4K2

That will make you happy.
But shipping gets you(about 10$). So order a few so you can sell them
off to friends etc since you pay the same for shipping.
Also, ask for the 1/8" brass adapter to the 1/16" thread to 1/8".

You can call them and ask etc also.
Always got good service and have never had any issues with some 60
valves or so I've sold, used, installed etc.
I use one Nu Pro and have used these ever since on all the systems.

I think they are significantly well priced at 10.10$ each. If you buy
10 then shipping adds only 1$ per valve. It's worth the $.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Iain Miller

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
Iain,

Is your solenoid separable from your CO2 valve? I have a unit made by
Ultralife, where the solenoid is attached to the needle valve.
Unfortunately, the solenoid tends to buzz every so often. I would like to
replace the solenoid without replacing the entire valve unit. Here is a
picture of a (newer version) of the Ultralife valve+solenoid combo that I
currently use. You can see how the solenoid is integrated into the value
unit.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4634

I just wonder if there are solenoids available out there that one can use

as
a separate part, so that if it goes bad, the entire unit need not be

junked.

Is your solenoid easily replaceable? Who makes your valve / solenoid, and
have you been pleased with it? Is your set-up available in the States?
Also, I wonder what type of controller you use.. I use an American Marine
which I have been very pleased with.

Thanks in advance for your reply. -Bruce Geist

Bruce,

My kit is the JBL proflora (www.jbl.de) As far as I can tell they sell the
kit in three forms. The level one kit is just the regulator, the level two
kit is the same regulator with the solenoid and the level three is the level
two kit with a PH controller (which is what I have). Therefore, in answer to
your question you can buy the JBL solenoid as a seperate item but I couldn't
tell you whether it will fit your regulator or not.

rgds

Iain