Old 25-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Zack Robertson

Default pearling after water change

After my most recent weekly water change (approx 15%), I noticed that for
the first 5 or so hours after the water change my plants pearl. This is the
only time I ever notice them pearling, aside from when I first put them in
the tank (10 gal) about a month ago. They grow just fine, but would I ever
love to see them pearl on a regular basis.

Any ideas as to why this may happen? The only thing I can think of is a
nutrient deficiency that is supplied by the tap water.

Thanks.

Zack Robertson

BTW - no CO2, no fertilization

Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 AM
redled

"Zack Robertson" wrote in
:

After my most recent weekly water change (approx 15%), I noticed that
for the first 5 or so hours after the water change my plants pearl.
This is the only time I ever notice them pearling, aside from when I
first put them in the tank (10 gal) about a month ago. They grow just
fine, but would I ever love to see them pearl on a regular basis.

Any ideas as to why this may happen? The only thing I can think of is
a nutrient deficiency that is supplied by the tap water.

Thanks.

Zack Robertson

BTW - no CO2, no fertilization

Tap water is often loaded with CO2. Sometimes it's purposefully added to
adjust the pH, to create a less corrosive environment within the water
pipes. It is very common for this to happen after a water change. If
you like what you see, start injecting CO2
Old 25-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Christopher

or it could just be air bubbles stuck to your leaves

"redled" wrote in message
. ..
"Zack Robertson" wrote in
:

Old 25-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Zack Robertson" wrote:

After my most recent weekly water change (approx 15%), I noticed that for
the first 5 or so hours after the water change my plants pearl.

BTW - no CO2, no fertilization

Grrr. I want pearling!

The only time I've seen any visible O2 production in my heavily
planted 20 gallon was from a damaged Anubias leaf.

I've got 56 watts of compact fluorescent light, fertilize regularly,
Flourite substrate, and currently my CO2 levels are very high - pH 7.0
and kH 18.5 works out to about 55 ppm CO2. Should be pearling at least
somewhat.

As for the high CO2, that's new. Usually I'm struggling to get it into
the 20s range. I noticed earlier today, several hours after putting a
new DIY bottle on, that the bubbles in the Hagen diffuser weren't
shrinking as they rose. Since so many hours had passed I suspected
that maybe the CO2 levels were approaching saturation, and tested the
pH and kH.

Since according to Chucks this level of CO2 could be dangerous for the
fish (though they don't appear to be in any distress) I've redirected
the filter return flow to increase surface agitation, both to reduce
CO2 and increase oxygen exchange.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 AM
DWS

I agree, even if you just use a DIY Co2 setup at first, you will see
definate positive changes

Dustin

"redled" wrote in message
. ..
"Zack Robertson" wrote in
:

Old 25-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Jeffrey Girard

Eric,

Three important things must exist for pearling to occur: plenty of the right
light, sufficient CO2, and the right concentration and balance of nutrients.
Now you say you fertilize, but what exactly are you adding? Plants need
macro and micro nutrients in the proper concentrations to thrive. Macro
nutrients are nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous. Micronutrients include
calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, boron, etc. Check out discussions on
www.thekrib.com for detailed writings on plant nutrition, etc. It's quite
possible you are adding sufficient micronutrients (that's what most
"fertilizers" for aquarium plants are), but neglecting a key macronutrient.
Don't worry about phosphorous - it comes from fish food/waste. I would
suspect you have a potassium deficiency. It's a tough thing to test for,
but I would bet you are low on it or some other key nutrient. After all,
you have to have everything there and in the right amount for the plants to
be able to grow.

Good luck,

Jeff

Old 25-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Eric Schreiber

"Jeffrey Girard" wrote:

Three important things must exist for pearling to occur: plenty of the right
light, sufficient CO2, and the right concentration and balance of nutrients.
Now you say you fertilize, but what exactly are you adding?

Up until I hit this "too much CO2" situation, I was adding Flourish
Excel daily. I also add Flourish and Leaf Zone weekly, per
instructions on the bottles.

I would suspect you have a potassium deficiency.

That would explain the foot cramps.

About half of the plants in my tank were only planted within the last
week, so perhaps they haven't settled in enough yet.

you have to have everything there and in the right amount for the plants to
be able to grow.

That's a fact. The wisteria has always grown like a weed, and the new
sunset hygro I recently added looks like it's going to leave the
wisteria far behind in that race.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 26-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Christopher

if you have a (severe) potassium deficiency you will start noticing pinholes
in your big broad leaves (like anubias) and then the pinholes will increase
in size until your once solid leaf looks now like a net.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:21 PM
James Ervin

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:13:00 -0500, Eric Schreiber
wrote:
Grrr. I want pearling!

With that much CO2, decent light and regular fertilizer, you should
see ample pearling. What do you mean by "fertilize". If you are
using the PMDD (which has both macro and micro nutrients) you should
have results.

New cuttings from the LFS in my 30ppm CO2 tank perl withing 2 hours of
being put in.

Perhaps the liquid rock you have for water is effecting it in some
way. Wow. What is your gH and kH out of the tap? Mine are
0/0....too bad we can't mix our water sources.

As for the high CO2, that's new. Usually I'm struggling to get it into
the 20s range.

Doing the math puts your normal pH in the 7.6 range then? (18kH CO2
20ppm).

Good luck and try the PMDD, it is a real pain to source out all the
parts, but once you have them, you have enough for the rest of your
life. He he he he.

Old 30-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Eric Schreiber

James Ervin wrote:

With that much CO2, decent light and regular fertilizer, you should
see ample pearling. What do you mean by "fertilize". If you are
using the PMDD (which has both macro and micro nutrients) you should
have results.

Leaf Zone and Flourish are what I use for fertilizing. And until
recently, I also had a too-high fish load in the tank, which
contributed a lot of mulm.

New cuttings from the LFS in my 30ppm CO2 tank perl withing 2 hours of
being put in.

Perhaps the liquid rock you have for water is effecting it in some
way. Wow. What is your gH and kH out of the tap?

I haven't measured the tap water in several months, but the last time
I did both were over 15. As an added plus, not only is our water very
hard, it's also radioactive. No mutants in the tank yet.

Good luck and try the PMDD, it is a real pain to source out all the
parts, but once you have them, you have enough for the rest of your
life. He he he he.

I may do that. Right now, I'd happily forego the pearling if only I
could get rid of the algae. The tank is definitely heavily planted,
and the plants are growing very well, but still not out-competing the
algae.

But hey, what fun would this hobby be without challenges.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 05-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Jody

"James Ervin" wrote in message
Perhaps the liquid rock you have for water is effecting it in some
way. Wow. What is your gH and kH out of the tap? Mine are
0/0....too bad we can't mix our water sources.

James, a little off-topic from the plants, but if your water is that soft
you ought be keeping apistos as they love soft water and might spawn for
you. They are great fish for planted tanks. Can you tell I'm jealous?
Also, be careful adding CO2 with soft water, because with no buffering
capacity your pH might crash. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already
know.

Jody

Old 05-05-2003, 03:32 AM
James Ervin

On Sun, 4 May 2003 20:04:13 -0500, "Jody"

James, a little off-topic from the plants, but if your water is that soft
you ought be keeping apistos as they love soft water and might spawn for
you. They are great fish for planted tanks. Can you tell I'm jealous?
Also, be careful adding CO2 with soft water, because with no buffering
capacity your pH might crash. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already
know.

Jody

My GH and KH are either not measurable or 1 degree. I have started
keeping several cups of crushed oyster shells in each tank. I do have
the tank I am putting CO2 in buffered to a KH of 6 to 8 which gives me
optimum CO2 levels near neutral water.

When the oyster shells are not enough, I add Epsom salts (MgSO4) and
baking soda (NaHCO3). I have found that the Epsom salts are very
effective at raising GH, but I also keep calcite and dolomite handy to
balance out the picture.

I have to keep the hardness up for the snails too. Found that out the
hard way. I miss my giant apple snail ........... I let his shell get
to weak in my soft water and the Oscars eventually go to him. It is
amazing how soft water will leach calcium from any source it can.

I do think it is better to have to add it than take it out. Plus it
makes the shower so much nicer :-{) he he he he.

Take the stick in the eye out to reply.