Old 28-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Kelly Upton

Default Weekend nightmare

I had to write in and let you all know that this was a BAD weekend for my
little betta, but it ended up good. I am the one that has 1 betta in a
planted 10 gallon. Well, that tank sprang a leak!!!!!! OMG NOW WHAT????
Hee hee we are in the process of moving the betta and plants into the only
other tank in the house that is available! Sometime tomorrow my betta will
be living with his plant friends in a 90 gallon aquarium. Needless to say,
I have to go plant shopping tomorrow to fill up the empty space for him. I
am thinking ...... 90 gallons.......one fish......water change once a year?!
:-) LOL I just had to share that with you.

Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 AM
WD

"Kelly Upton" wrote in message
.net...
him. I
am thinking ...... 90 gallons.......one fish......water change once a

year?!

With what I've learned recently, in a well-planted tank, you don't need to
do water changes at all, in theory. Therory being you've created an
ecosystem. Fish create waste, filter converts waste to nitrogen, plants
convert nitrogen to O2!

Old 28-04-2003, 11:20 AM
jack moore

will still probably experience a slow salt buildup in the water and will
eventually have to change it.

Old 28-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Duncan A. McRae

What about poo? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate aside, what breaks down and devours
the sludge component?

Old 28-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Empty

"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in
.rogers.com:

What about poo? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate aside, what breaks down and
devours the sludge component?

Plant roots will eat that.

Planted tanks do need water changes though, for many reasons. A big one is
micronutrients that don't enter the tank in any other way. Another is the
fact that evaporation will take H2O away, but not dissolved metals,
calcium, etc.

Water changes are vital to healthy tanks IMO and IME.

~Empty

--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
oak tree roots and a plumbing nightmare juggler Gardening 15 03-11-2003 02:36 PM
privacy nightmare! walms Gardening 45 19-09-2003 02:50 AM
leylandii nightmare Richard United Kingdom 22 15-07-2003 07:54 PM
nightmare John Rutz Ponds 18 10-04-2003 04:20 PM