Old 01-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Lava Plays

Default What should I do to keep my water clear? FRUSTRATED...?

Guys, i just bought a 6 gallon tank with florescent light and bio wheel
filtration 8 days ago.
and already it's cloudy. a lil greenish.
what can be the reason and what should I do?
the fish store guy told me to turn off the light for a few days.
I tried that but didn't seem to help?

I have:
7 baby guppies (friend gave me)
1 male guppy
4 neons
2 serpae tetra
2 mickey mouses
2 coreys.

also added cycle nitric. but didn't help at all too.
help... THANKS!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Empty

"Lava Plays" wrote in
:

Guys, i just bought a 6 gallon tank with florescent light and bio wheel
filtration 8 days ago.
and already it's cloudy. a lil greenish.
what can be the reason and what should I do?

You are experiencing a bacterial and/or algae bloom.

the fish store guy told me to turn off the light for a few days.
I tried that but didn't seem to help?

The fish store guy is a moron, especially if he sold you all this below.

I have:
7 baby guppies (friend gave me)
1 male guppy
4 neons
2 serpae tetra
2 mickey mouses
2 coreys.

Way, way, WAY too many fish for that tank.

That is too many fish for a fully cycled, mature, heavily planted 6g.

You should be starting with the guppies. Period. And when the tank has
cycled, add the cories and some otocinclus (1 possibly two depending on
your algae problem).

Then MAYBE the neons, but the tank is already full.

Go to faqs.thekrib.com and read the newbie section. Your fish and your own
sanity will thank you in the end.

~Empty
--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other
Old 01-05-2003, 07:08 AM
WD

"Lava Plays" wrote in message
. ..
Guys, i just bought a 6 gallon tank with florescent light and bio wheel
filtration 8 days ago.
and already it's cloudy. a lil greenish.
what can be the reason and what should I do?
the fish store guy told me to turn off the light for a few days.
I tried that but didn't seem to help?

Several things.

1: That tank is WAY over stocked. Those fish should be in a 20 gallon.
You're going to have sick, and eventually dead fish.
2: The tank is probably still in the middle of the cycleing process, and an
alage bloom is not uncommon.

Read here on cycleing: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Old 01-05-2003, 11:56 AM
LeighMo

Way, way, WAY too many fish for that tank.

Agreed. But it's likely a self-correcting problem, since the tank is only 8
days old. :-(

You should be starting with the guppies. Period. And when the tank has
cycled, add the cories and some otocinclus (1 possibly two depending on
your algae problem).

I don't recommend livebearers for this tank, because they will quickly overrun
it.

Probably the neons, corys, and an oto or three is what I'd go with.
Unfortunately, those aren't the best fish for cycling a tank.

I would take some of the fish back to the store. There is no way they can all
live in such a small tank. Even better, take them all back, and do a fishless
cycle before putting any fish in the tank.

Leigh

Old 01-05-2003, 04:56 PM
James Ervin

On Thu, 01 May 2003 05:19:46 GMT, "Lava Plays"
wrote:

Guys, i just bought a 6 gallon tank with florescent light and bio wheel
filtration 8 days ago.
and already it's cloudy. a lil greenish.

First, invest some time understanding the process that is happening
inside that little cube of water. Read this:

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Your Bio wheel is not working YET...... it is still developing the
nitrobacter that will participate in the nitrogen cycle. The cloudy
water is a sign of this process.

Now, since your tank is small and has not cycled, you probably want
1/3 of the fish you have now. Take most of them back. If you don't
they probably will die. I like to buy some "feeder" gold fish to
cycle my tanks.

Start slow and good luck. Don't give up. Getting a tank started is
tough.

the fish store guy told me to turn off the light for a few days.

If you invest a few hours of reading about new aquiriam setup and the
the nitrogen cycle (as I suspect you will since the number of people
who use news groups is diminishing and those that do are typically
good information seekers) you will know twice as much as the "fish
store guy".

Remember: There is a natural process at work that you can understand
and predict.

James Ervin
Remove SPAM to email me.

Frustrated!! (cows & corn!) rachael simpson Gardening 1 05-07-2008 12:41 PM
Frustrated bird Padraig Garden Photos 3 02-05-2007 08:08 PM
Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear? MB United Kingdom 24 13-09-2006 12:15 PM
Newbie and frustrated ebruvold Ponds 29 20-03-2005 01:47 AM
clear plastic "shield" to keep rain off and bug spray on Lyne Gardening 3 15-08-2003 05:22 PM