Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 PM
william kossack

Default hair algae

I ran into someone at a nursery that had a hair algae problem in his
pond. He was wanting to know how to control it.

I did not have a clue for such a large outside body of water so I sent
him to one of my favorite aquarium stores that helped me when I was
having trouble.

Now I've noticed a little hair algae in my tank. I've got SAE and Otts
working hard. I'm running 2 55watt lights on a 65 gallon freshwater
tank. My nitrate is running between 10-5 ppm.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 PM
SteveG

This type of algae(actually any type of algae) seems to feed on aquarium
imbalance.
With that much lighting, are you supplememting CO2? Or atleast enough CO2?

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 PM
william kossack

I have not gone to CO2 yet because of the price. I do occationally put in
some Excel but that can be expensive also.

I met someone with a pond with lots of hair algae. What would be their
solution?

Old 13-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Duncan A. McRae

You can actually build your own CO2 generators VERY inexpensively. The
following is a rather exhaustive discussion:
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

For what it's worth, I do the following:
get a jug with a flat bottom and a rubber liner in the cap
get some tubing; six feet is usually more than enough for me
get a check-valve
drill a hole in the cap of the jug that's slightly smaller than the
tubing
cut the tubing diagonally so you can fit it through the hole; pull hard
to get the whole thing in
cut the tubing somewhere and install the check-valve
mix 1/2 tsp yeast, 2 cups sugar and 1.5L water in the jug
(I use 4L jugs, so my mixture is 1/2 tsp yeast, 4 cups sugar and 3-3.5L
water)
recharge the jug about every two weeks

I have about five or six of these things running. On my 37g tank, I have
two, which I replace on a staggered schedule (one's always going while the
other's off the system).

I put small plastic "cups" on the bottoms of my filter intakes, which
capture the bubbles and release them into the filter, where the impeller
disperses the gas. I've also drilled holes into the intake tubes, but I
find this causes me annoyance when I do anything involving the filter.

This system is really simple to produce, is dirt cheap, and makes me feel
like a DIY hero. I haven't won a Nobel Prize as a result, nor are
attractive women begging me for dates because I'm the CO2 King of
Mississauga. Your results may be better than mine, so at least give it a
shot.

I've read that if you use a good yeast, you can actually drink the alcohol
produced. I've read too many wives' tales about people going blind on
moonshine, so you won't see *me* trying it anytime soon!

Have fun, William;
Duncan

Old 16-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Robert Flory

"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
You can actually build your own CO2 generators VERY inexpensively. The
following is a rather exhaustive discussion:
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

For what it's worth, I do the following:
get a jug with a flat bottom and a rubber liner in the cap
SNIP

Aww shucks, you miss all the fun of having tipy soda bottles and lines full
of jello ;-)

Old 17-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Duncan A. McRae

Actually, I *have* picked up several packets of no-name strawberry Jell-O.
I've been too lazy to actually use them, however! Next month...

.com...