Old 13-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Andrew

Default newbie

newbie thinking of puttin live plants into my small 10g tank any help about
taking the leap wud be much appreciated

Old 13-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Sushil Prasad

BEST SUGGESTION IS TO HAVE JAVA FERN, JAVA MOSS AND CRYPTO SPECIES. CAN ALSO
HAVE ANUBIUS NANA. ALL OF THIS PLANTS DO WELL IN MY 20 GALLON WITH ONLY 15
WATT OLD LAMP.

Old 13-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Trygve Lillefosse

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:44:48 -0000, "Andrew"
wrote:
newbie thinking of puttin live plants into my small 10g tank any help about
taking the leap wud be much appreciated

Try to find another aquarist close to you where you can buy cheap
plants and also get some advise. This way you will get started a lot
faster than when using you LFS.
An aquarist who has a lot of plants, alway have some to spare unless
he/she has just been cutting back the plants. Also the advice from
this person is very valuable as you can see for yourself that he/she
is doing the right things.

Also look into CO2, a DIY system should be OK, as a bait. Later you
may you get realy hooked.:-)

When having a planted tank, the mud that forms is ok. You may let it
stay or you may take it away.

The who realy good things about plants is that they will make your
tank a lot prettyer. The plants will also help stabilizing the tank
and remove nitrate, thus giving the tank higher bio capacity, thus
giving you the oportunity to add more fish or do less frequent
waterchanges.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.
Remove nospam to mail me.

Old 14-02-2003, 01:29 AM
WD

"Sushil Prasad" wrote in message
BEST SUGGESTION IS TO HAVE JAVA FERN, JAVA MOSS AND CRYPTO SPECIES. CAN

ALSO
HAVE ANUBIUS NANA. ALL OF THIS PLANTS DO WELL IN MY 20 GALLON WITH ONLY 15
WATT OLD LAMP.

Turn off the caps lock, man. Shee...

Old 14-02-2003, 01:33 AM
WD

"Andrew" wrote in message
newbie thinking of puttin live plants into my small 10g tank any help

about
taking the leap wud be much appreciated

*******
Start he http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html
*******
Keep it simple. Read that FAQ. Don't try CO2 (yet), don't get fancy stuff.
As suggested by the guy with the stuck shift key, in a standard 10 gallon,
you probably don't have enough light for many plants. Stick with java ferns,
the cryptocoryne family, or anubias. Let us know how it goes.

Billy

Old 14-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Andrew

newbie thinking of puttin live plants into my small 10g tank any help

about taking the leap wud be much appreciated

*******
Start he http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html
*******
Keep it simple. Read that FAQ. Don't try CO2 (yet), don't get fancy stuff.
As suggested by the guy with the stuck shift key, in a standard 10 gallon,
you probably don't have enough light for many plants.

is the light that came with mine ok it is a 15W bulb which is attached to
the hood?

Stick with java ferns, the cryptocoryne family, or anubias.

I will take a race up when i get the time to see about plants and ask advice
in my local petshop

At the moment there are no fish in my tank i have run the cycle for about
2weeks and am considering putting the plants in should i do it now before i
introduce any fish and leave it for another week or 2??

Let us know how it goes.

will do

Billy

Old 14-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Martin

I would do it now, if you plant the tank then you will disturb the
substrate - so best do it when there are no fish. I would get plants that do
well in Low Light (you probably have a reflector as well - and its the
intensity of light at the substrate that really counts).

Java fern is a good one as is most of the cryptocryne varieties....I have
also had a good relationship in a smaller tank with Amazon Swords (they
needed an awful lot of pruning) also some Vallisneria. I would stay away
from red-coloured plants - they look nice but in my opinion they require
high lighting conditions to grow well. If you can, only go for plants that
YOU KNOW are aquatic - most shops will try and sell you anything - even
plants that can exist in water but are not true aquatics and they die after
about 4-5 weeks - its too late then to blame the shop as they will blame
your tank and water conditions and everything else.

Good luck.

Old 20-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Rich Conley

I dunno guys.. I have a 10 gal with a single fluorescent type tube light on it,
15 W, and I can grow almost anything. Its 1.5 w/gal over only like 8 inches of
water....its probably 20 times as much light as 1.5 wat/gal over a 16" dep tank
(light decay is exponential).

Old 20-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Rich Conley

WD wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
newbie thinking of puttin live plants into my small 10g tank any help

about
taking the leap wud be much appreciated

*******
Start he http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html
*******
Keep it simple. Read that FAQ. Don't try CO2 (yet), don't get fancy stuff.
As suggested by the guy with the stuck shift key, in a standard 10 gallon,
you probably don't have enough light for many plants. Stick with java ferns,
the cryptocoryne family, or anubias. Let us know how it goes.

Billy

NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 08:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 06:20 AM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM