Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Paulo Almeida

Default Echinodorus

I have several echinodorus, in my 600 liters tank (about 130 galons i
believe). The problem is they are getting yellowish in the edges of the
leaves and in the midlle (where sometimes apears some yellow spots). This
happens in older leaves, by the other hand new ones are being biten by my
clown loachs.

Could the yellow leaves be because of some nutrient dificiency. I have also
very few watt per gallon (i have the total of 116 Watts with 2 x 58 Watts
Bulbs).

My PH is very high (about 7,6 to 7,8) even doing DIY CO2. But i donīt think
that this as anything to do with my problem.

Also have some anubias with yellow spots. I have some cryptocoryne nevelli
(willisi) and cryptocoryne wendtii Sri Lanka wich aparently are doing ok.

any guesses ?

Paulo Almeida

Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
LeighMo

I have several echinodorus, in my 600 liters tank (about 130 galons i
believe).

It's 160 gallons U.S. Not many people use U.K. gallons any more, since they've
converted to metric and use liters now.

Could the yellow leaves be because of some nutrient dificiency.

Possibly. It could also just be old leaves. Echinodorus leaves don't last
forever. Prune the old ones off when they start looking ratty. New ones will
replace them quickly enough.

I have also
very few watt per gallon (i have the total of 116 Watts with 2 x 58 Watts
Bulbs).

That is less than a watt per gallon. But given the size of your tank, it is
probably enough. If lighting were a problem, I'd expect your anubias to be
doing well while your other plants suffered.

My PH is very high (about 7,6 to 7,8) even doing DIY CO2. But i donīt think
that this as anything to do with my problem.

Egad. I doubt DIY CO2 would be adequate for a 160 gallon tank. Do you know
what your KH is? How about your nitrate levels?

You might find this page useful:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Also..what kind of fish are in your tank, besides loaches? Do you have any
plecos? They sometimes scrape flat leaves too close, leaving yellow spots and
even holes. You can recognize pleco damage by the "frayed" look.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Wilma Duncan

Paulo, these are heavy root feeders and need iron tablets placed near the
roots or you can use Jobe's Palm and Fern Spikes.
Wilma
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/

Old 17-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Sergey Politaev

"Paulo Almeida" wrote in message
I have several echinodorus, in my 600 liters tank (about 130 galons i
believe). The problem is they are getting yellowish in the edges of the
leaves and in the midlle (where sometimes apears some yellow spots). This
happens in older leaves, by the other hand new ones are being biten by my
clown loachs.

It's pretty looks like your tank is overheated for echinodoruses - too fast
degradation of old leaves and damaged young ones - the ability of roots to
supply the plant with nutrients is simply behind the growth rate. This
plants, originating from moderate warm climate zones, often show such kind
of reaction at temperatures more then 25 - 27 C. If my guess is true, next
step would be dying of growth points and the whole plant after a while.
--
~SP~
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;