Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Duncan A. McRae

Default Corkscrew vals are fading; suggestions?

Greetings

I have four of them at the front of a 38g tank which has a reliable 20w
light and a not-so-reliable 30w light. The lights are on 0700-0800, then
1100-2300 (13 hours total). I regularly dump liquid fertilizer in the tank
(the Big Al's generic stuff) inject DIY CO2, and do partial water changes
from the tap. The plants are in gravel, and fish poo should be collecting
as I don't vacuum unless it starts looking particularly nasty in there (I
have about 6-10 Amano shrimp and 2 panda corries). I see no sign of fish
harassing the plants.

Should I be looking at fertilizer sticks?

What's a good site to identify my plants (I didn't keep track of what I was
buying sigh) and research their needs?

Thanks all;
Duncan

Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Daniel Whiting

Are other plants doing well? For me, there were a few weeks where I
didn't really pay attention to my tank.. I forgot to renew the co2
bottle or fertilize. I fed the fish (with the help of an auto-feeder)
and changed water but put the plants on hold.. Either way, during this
time the high maintanence plants died back and my vals just took off
like weeds. I gave quite a few to the LFS when I finally got back into it.

Anyways, my point is, are the nutrients being taken by other faster
growing or nutrient-hogging plants?

Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Duncan A. McRae

Other plants are doing quite well, yes. Except for the grass, which I can't
anchor very well.

. ..

Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
LeighMo

IME, corkscrew Val needs a little more like than regular Val. You may not have
enough light for it. You've got only a little over 1 wpg, and that's counting
the "unreliable" bulb.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Duncan A. McRae

I've just picked up a two-bulb 36" fixture (for a total of 80 watts over a
38g tank). Not sure I'll put both 30w bulbs in, but at least I have that
option. Have also boosted the fertilizer a little. My test kits are only
the standard stuff -- Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, pH High, gH and kH -- so what
should I be looking for with the next test kits? I'm thinking Iron and
Nitrate, but do I need anything else?

Thanks;

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Bob A

"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

This is something I've been curious about in my tank for a while... they are
not fading (I have 2wpg), they are doing quite well, but once in a while a
leaf/strand will turn a beautiful red color. Seems to be mostly at the
point they reach the surface and float.

best,

bob allred

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
LeighMo

This is something I've been curious about in my tank for a while... they are
not fading (I have 2wpg), they are doing quite well, but once in a while a
leaf/strand will turn a beautiful red color. Seems to be mostly at the
point they reach the surface and float.

IME, when a Vallisneria blade turns red, it's because it's dying. Kind of like
autumn leaves. It's natural for the older blades to die off. As long they're
being replaced by new ones, it's nothing to worry about.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Bob A

"LeighMo" wrote in message
This is something I've been curious about in my tank for a while... they

are
not fading (I have 2wpg), they are doing quite well, but once in a while

leaf/strand will turn a beautiful red color. Seems to be mostly at the
point they reach the surface and float.

IME, when a Vallisneria blade turns red, it's because it's dying. Kind of

like
autumn leaves. It's natural for the older blades to die off. As long

they're
being replaced by new ones, it's nothing to worry about.

Leigh

Thanks, now I know. I think they are (like autumn leaves) quite pretty.
Good to know its not a problem.

bob

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Micheal Pelt

"LeighMo" wrote in message
IME, corkscrew Val needs a little more like than regular Val.

So give them all a BIG HUG!