Old 24-07-2003, 12:06 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Wisteria leaf colour fading through the season

Hi,

I freely admit I have been neglectful - not pruning the Wisteria to keep it
on the straight (or fairly twisty) and narrow.

However it started the year with dark green foliage.
As the year progresses the foliage is getting lighter and lighter and now is
mainly pale yellow/green, although the Wisteria is still growing fairly
strongly.

I would put it down to lack of nutrients, but when on holiday in France a
few years back there was a Wisteria in the yard of the Gite which showed
similar symptoms, and giving it a liquid feed or two didn't seem to make any
difference.

So is this a natural thing, perhaps easing back on the chlorophyl as the sun
gets stronger, or should I feed the poor thing with massive amounts of food
to get it green again?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 25-07-2003, 06:12 AM
JennyC

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

I have always assumed that that's the way they grow, My new growth is
also very pale.......
Jenny

Old 06-08-2003, 05:22 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I decided to experiment and I have been adding large amounts of
Growmore around the roots of the Wisteria where it is planted in a 'removed
paving slab' space in the patio, then washing it in with copious amounts of
water.
Probably not the correct way to feed a plant.
However the results are interesting.
The leaves which were pale yellow are now gradually returning to a darker
green.
First the veins in the leaves turn green, then the rest of the leaf greens
up as well.
This sugests that the plant was being starved of nutrients, although it
still seemed to grow strongly.
I guess I will have to stop feeding it fairly soon, or I will be in danger
of encouraging too much sappy frowth late in the season, but it will be
interesting to see if it flowers any better next year.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Well, I decided to experiment and I have been adding large amounts of
Growmore around the roots of the Wisteria where it is planted in a 'removed
paving slab' space in the patio, then washing it in with copious amounts of
water.
Probably not the correct way to feed a plant.
However the results are interesting.
The leaves which were pale yellow are now gradually returning to a darker
green.
First the veins in the leaves turn green, then the rest of the leaf greens
up as well.
This sugests that the plant was being starved of nutrients, although it
still seemed to grow strongly.
I guess I will have to stop feeding it fairly soon, or I will be in danger
of encouraging too much sappy frowth late in the season, but it will be
interesting to see if it flowers any better next year.

You could try moving over to tomato fertiliser - still give you the
nitrogen but higher potassium to encourage flowers.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-08-2003, 09:22 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

snip
You could try moving over to tomato fertiliser - still give you the
nitrogen but higher potassium to encourage flowers.
--
Kay Easton

Thanks Kay; however large bag of GrowMore and small bottle of Tomato
fertiliser.
Market forces may prevail :-)

Wisteria has changed colour! meadsie Gardening 1 15-05-2008 01:40 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Year old lawn is fading away! JS Lawns 4 01-07-2004 07:03 PM
Corkscrew vals are fading; suggestions? Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 18-07-2003 10:13 AM
Corkscrew vals are fading; suggestions? Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 17-05-2003 07:56 PM