Old 26-12-2005, 09:50 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Impatiens leaves

Hi!
I'm a biology student participating in research on Impatiens; part of
it is skanning of leaves and analysing their shape. Unfortunately,
there are some three species where I live: I. noli-tangere (native), I.
parviflora and I. glandulifera (both introduced). It would be great
help to get at least a few shapes of other species and varieties'
leaves for comparison. If any of you is in possesion of an Impatiens or
has one growing nearby (ok, it seems like the worst time of the year to
search for an annual plant...), please try to grab a few adult leaves
(preferably with petals) and scan it or put it flat on white background
and take a photo of it. I will be very thankful if you could send me
some leaves by email and if, in turn, you're interersted in what comes
out of the analysis, don't hesitate to ask :-)

Thanks in advance!
Emilia

Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kelly

Default plant id question

I saw a plant on my New Year's day hike that really caught my attention.
Unfortunately, I didn't take a sample back to id and didn't check to see
if the leaves are alternate or not; however, I do remember that the
leaves were entire, seemed to form somewhat of a rosette pattern near
the terminal ends, the leaves and stems have a quality similar to that
of a succulent plant, and it was creeping and growing on mossy rocks mid
trail in a moist, wooded environment in Pisgah National Forest in
Western North Carolina. Any possible clues to point me in the right
general direction for id'ing this plant? If not, I'll have to make a
trip back out there to collect a specimen to check it out further since
I'm very enamored by this plant. I have a Newcomb's Wildflower guide but
I'm not finding it helpful in this particular instance since I'm not
even sure that it is something that flowers and obviously wouldn't be
flowering this time of year even if it were.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:18 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Cereus-validus-...........

Maybe Sedum glaucophyllum?

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...22&btnG=Search

Old 04-01-2006, 04:49 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kelly

Default Diccionario Botanico de Nombres Vulgares Cubanos

Anybody have a copy of Diccionario Botanico de Nombres Vulgares Cubanos
by Juan Tomas Roig y Mesa? If you're willing to part w/ it, let me know
how much you want for it. There are actually 2 volumes. It was written
by my great grandfather and I'd like to get a copy of this book for my
mom for Mother's Day. He raised her when she was a child in Cuba and she
didn't get an opportunity to see him again after she left Cuba as a
teen. Been searching on Amazon and E-bay sporadically for awhile and it
hasn't shown up in either of these places yet. Checked again today and
it's still not showing up in either place. thanks much
Old 04-01-2006, 06:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
John Wilkins

Kelly wrote:
Anybody have a copy of Diccionario Botanico de Nombres Vulgares Cubanos
by Juan Tomas Roig y Mesa? If you're willing to part w/ it, let me know
how much you want for it. There are actually 2 volumes. It was written
by my great grandfather and I'd like to get a copy of this book for my
mom for Mother's Day. He raised her when she was a child in Cuba and she
didn't get an opportunity to see him again after she left Cuba as a
teen. Been searching on Amazon and E-bay sporadically for awhile and it
hasn't shown up in either of these places yet. Checked again today and
it's still not showing up in either place. thanks much

Go he

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?y=12&tn=Diccionario+Botanico+de+Nomb res+Vulgares+Cubanos&x=35

--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: evolvethought.blogspot.com
Old 06-01-2006, 11:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kelly

Thanks for the lead -- I don't think it's Sedum glaucophyllum but after
checking on some of the Sedum's that grow in the area and doing a quick
Google search, I'm guessing there's a good chance that it's Sedum
ternatum (Wild Stonecrop). What I had forgotten to mention is that the
rosettes at the terminal ends are more flattened in nature. I can id for
sure in Spring when it blooms. I'm usually pretty happy with the line
drawings in Newcomb's but I have to say that at least in this particular
instance, the line drawing for S. ternatum wasn't that helpful to me
esp. since it wasn't flowering.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kelly

John Wilkins wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Anybody have a copy of Diccionario Botanico de Nombres Vulgares
Cubanos by Juan Tomas Roig y Mesa? If you're willing to part w/ it,
let me know how much you want for it. There are actually 2 volumes. It
was written by my great grandfather and I'd like to get a copy of this
book for my mom for Mother's Day. He raised her when she was a child
in Cuba and she didn't get an opportunity to see him again after she
left Cuba as a teen. Been searching on Amazon and E-bay sporadically
for awhile and it hasn't shown up in either of these places yet.
Checked again today and it's still not showing up in either place.
thanks much

Go he

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?y=12&tn=Diccionario+Botanico+de+Nomb res+Vulgares+Cubanos&x=35

Thanks John. I'd never heard of Abebooks before. Apparently, Amazon's
not all that
Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,[email protected]
Kelly

Sorry Emila, no luck finding the Impatiens pressings. I'm pretty sure
I'd collected some samples of I. capensis and I. pallida at one point
but I thik what happened is that they got wilted and crappy looking
before I pressed them so they ended up getting pitched. Apparently, you
can't be to much of a slack-ass in pressing Impatiens on a hot summer
day ;-) Kelly

Kelly wrote:
Jeez -- not sure why I have Clematis on the brain. Must have read a
different posting somewhere about Clematis. I'll see if a can scrounge
up any Impatiens samples for you. I think I have at least one....

Kelly wrote:

Hi Emilia -

I have a pressing of Clematis virginiana. I'll see if I can wrangle up
a digital file for you. Any deadline on this since it might take a bit
for me to get back to you?

thanks,
Kelly