Old 04-10-2003, 06:43 AM
-=Almazick=-

Default CALIBRATION KIT 4.0ph, 7.0ph, 10.0ph

I just bought Checker PH tester by Hanna Instruments and have a question
about calibration kit. It says in the manual that I have to empty powder in
100ml of water but I heard that you can split capsules up to 15 times.
That's what I read "May enough buffer for about 15 calibrations if you are
not wasteful." Also what water should I use? Can I use 1gal. Jewel or
Dominicks drinking water?

Old 05-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Tasslehoff

I think it means each capsule is equivalent to about ~5 20ml premixed
sachets of Ph4 solution etc totalling 100ml that usually come with pH meter
kits like Pinpoint/Hanna meters. 15 I think refers to the combined 5 pH 4
sachets, 5 pH7's and 5 pH10's? totalling 15 packets.

. net...

Old 05-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Rick

"-=Almazick=-" wrote in message
. net...
I just bought Checker PH tester by Hanna Instruments and have a question
about calibration kit. It says in the manual that I have to empty powder

in
100ml of water but I heard that you can split capsules up to 15 times.
That's what I read "May enough buffer for about 15 calibrations if you are
not wasteful." Also what water should I use? Can I use 1gal. Jewel or
Dominicks drinking water?

I just went to a Hydroponics store and purchased the liquid PH4 and PH7. No
messing around mixing.

Rick

Old 06-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Dan Drake

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 05:19:26 UTC, "-=Almazick=-"
wrote:

I just bought Checker PH tester by Hanna Instruments and have a question
about calibration kit. It says in the manual that I have to empty powder in
100ml of water but I heard that you can split capsules up to 15 times.
That's what I read "May enough buffer for about 15 calibrations if you are
not wasteful." Also what water should I use? Can I use 1gal. Jewel or
Dominicks drinking water?

It probably doesn't make a *big* difference so long as you make it with
soft water; but prudence says to use distilled water (or de-ionized) if
you want to be sure the calibration is any good. Available in gallons,
for not much money, in any supremarket I've looked in.

(Don't store your pH electrodes in distilled water, ever.)

--

http://www.dandrake.com/

In the days after September 11, Yahoo searches for Nostradamus
outnumbered those for Osama bin Laden and Sex, combined.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Tasslehoff

I think it's usually stored in Ph 4 solution and KCl(Potassium chloride)
sold in gardening/hydoponics as potash. DO NOT use K2SO4(Pottasium
sulphate) also labelled as potash depending on the brand.

. net...

Old 07-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Rick

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message
u...
I think it's usually stored in Ph 4 solution and KCl(Potassium chloride)
sold in gardening/hydoponics as potash. DO NOT use K2SO4(Pottasium
sulphate) also labelled as potash depending on the brand.

I have a Hanna Instruments PH tester and my instructions are to store in PH
7 solution. You should check the manufactures specifications for your
particular unit .

Rick

Old 07-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Dan Drake

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:12:25 UTC, "Rick" wrote:

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message
u...
I think it's usually stored in Ph 4 solution and KCl(Potassium chloride)
sold in gardening/hydoponics as potash. DO NOT use K2SO4(Pottasium
sulphate) also labelled as potash depending on the brand.

I have a Hanna Instruments PH tester and my instructions are to store in PH
7 solution. You should check the manufactures specifications for your
particular unit .

I once Googled the subject pretty widely and found a bunch of
recommendations including those of some reputable suppliers. The favorite
seems to be 4-molar KCl. That's 300 grams (298 would be quite
unnecessary accuracy) in one liter of solution. pH 7 buffer is also
suggested, and pH 4 also.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Jim K

I have the Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller and found out the following from
the company:

1. The 4.01 isn't necessary since the monitor is used mostly for aquariums
and a pH that low is usually not found. In fact, they don't include one
with their monitor.

2. It is only necessary to dip the tip of the probe into about 3/4 inch of
calibration solution.

3. De-ionized, RO or bottled drinking water can be used to rinse and store
the probe.

Old 08-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Rick

"Jim K" wrote in message
om...
I have the Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller and found out the following from
the company:

1. The 4.01 isn't necessary since the monitor is used mostly for aquariums
and a pH that low is usually not found. In fact, they don't include one
with their monitor.

2. It is only necessary to dip the tip of the probe into about 3/4 inch of
calibration solution.

3. De-ionized, RO or bottled drinking water can be used to rinse and store
the probe.

from the instruction manual of my Hana Instrument which I believe also makes
the Checker model. Note the caps are theirs DO NOT USE DISTILLED OR
DEONIZED WATER FOR STORAGE PURPOSES.

Rick

Old 08-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Jim K

Interesting that they differ for storage. Here is a quote from the email I
received from Milwaukee:

"for storage use bottle drinking water in the protective cap."

There is no reference in their manual for storage, but they do have
Electrode Storage Solution listed as an optional accessory. It doesn't say
what it contains.

I guess the best bet is to check with the manufacturer for recommendations.

"Rick" wrote in message

om...