Old 03-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Amit

Default Water Parametrs Question

Hi All,
Finally I got today the master test LAB mad by Red Sea (Anyone knows?) So
I've tested my 100 gallon planted tank...
I was mostly interested in the KH in order to find out the CO2 concentration
in the water.
Although the results really made me sad Fish and plants seems happy....
here goes:
PH 6.8~6.9
KH 9~10
GH 12~13
CO2 in ppm according to the CO2 test is 18 PPM
Ammonia, Nitrite and Chlorine are all 0 (at least these are good)

Despite the fact that the water are very hard I am kind of confused
regarding the CO2 levels.
According to some CO2 tables, the levels are HIGH 33.991 ppm (while PH 6.9,
KH 9)
Should I reduce my CO2 levels ?
I know that plants can do well in hard water, but I guess I can use more RO
water ?
10x

Amit

Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Dave Millman

Amit wrote:

PH 6.8~6.9
KH 9~10
GH 12~13
CO2 in ppm according to the CO2 test is 18 PPM
Ammonia, Nitrite and Chlorine are all 0 (at least these are good)

Despite the fact that the water are very hard I am kind of confused
regarding the CO2 levels.
According to some CO2 tables, the levels are HIGH 33.991 ppm (while PH 6.9,
KH 9)
Should I reduce my CO2 levels ?

Ignore your test kit. Chuck Gadd's chart or calculator is the best.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

With water that hard, you must be injecting CO2 to get a pH of 6.8. Am I
correct?

Also, are you using a pH controller? I ask, because you report your pH to the
tenth of a point.

Finally, why are you sad? Your CO2 is a bit high, which is easy to fix (turn
down your CO2 a tad, or if you are using a controller, set it to 7 for 27ppm at
KH9)

I know that plants can do well in hard water, but I guess I can use more RO
water ?

Why? What problem are you trying to solve?

Old 03-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Chuck Gadd

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:34:14 +0200, "Amit" wrote:

PH 6.8~6.9
KH 9~10

Despite the fact that the water are very hard I am kind of confused
regarding the CO2 levels.
According to some CO2 tables, the levels are HIGH 33.991 ppm (while PH 6.9,
KH 9)
Should I reduce my CO2 levels ?

Well, the CO2 levels for your numbers range from:

pH 6.9, KH 9 = 34ppm
pH 6.8, KH 10 = 48ppm.

Definitely looks on the high side to me. I'd lower it some, so the
max CO2 would be around 30ppm or so.

You might want to try to get a more exact value for the KH test. For
the titration tests (where you keep adding drops until the color
changes), you can simply double the water sample size, and then divide
the number of drops by two. For example, normally, each drop = 1
degree KH. If you double the water sample, then each drop = .5 degree
kh.

I know that plants can do well in hard water, but I guess I can use more RO
water ?

Why bother?

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 04-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Amit

Yes I was using the Chuck Gadd table :-)
And got the 33.991 PPM.
If I reduce the CO2 levels won't it effect on rising a bit the PH Hence
rising a bit the KH ?
Sure I will reduce the co2 but should I also try lowering the KH level ????
I guess my tap water have even a higher KH.
10x

Amit

Old 04-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Amit

With water that hard, you must be injecting CO2 to get a pH of 6.8. Am I
correct?

Yes you are my rap ones are 7.2....
Also, are you using a pH controller? I ask, because you report your pH to
the
tenth of a point. No I do not use a PH controller.

Why? What problem are you trying to solve?
Well I guess I m being hunted by the this myth that softer water are better,
and even after seeing many beautiful fancy planted tanks in many sites, they
are all mentioning very soft water parameters.No doubt I am being hunted....

10x

Amit