Old 23-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Pete Burns

Default Green carpet Algae

I have a small community tank, 20 gal I had lots of plants, swords, wisteria
and others. Angle fish, molys, alge eaters.
I've had algae before but never like this. This stuff is thick like a carpet
and a dark green color. I tried some algae treatment from the store but it
did not help at all. Any suggestions, I am about ready to rip out all the
plants.
Pete

Old 23-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Anton

Are you fertilizing your plants? I read somewhere a little while back that
high iron content could help develop certain algae's. I had an algae problem
starting to develop in my tank, I reduced fetilizer doses and the algae has
all but disappeared.

good luck,
Anton

.net...

Old 24-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Nsty N8

I have a small community tank, 20 gal I had lots of plants, swords,
wisteria
and others. Angle fish, molys, alge eaters.
I've had algae before but never like this. This stuff is thick like a

carpet
and a dark green color. I tried some algae treatment from the store but

it
did not help at all. Any suggestions, I am about ready to rip out all the
plants.
Pete

Dark green and carpet like? Is it soft, smelly and wipes off of plants easily?

If so...That would be Blue/Green Algae. I had it when I was dosing co2
w/intense lights and low Nitrates.
I was lazy with my fertillization routine.
I'm only human.

N8
Old 25-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Dinky

"Pete Burns" wrote in message
.net...
I have a small community tank, 20 gal I had lots of plants, swords,

wisteria
and others. Angle fish, molys, alge eaters.
I've had algae before but never like this. This stuff is thick like a

carpet
and a dark green color. I tried some algae treatment from the store but

it
did not help at all. Any suggestions, I am about ready to rip out all the
plants.
Pete

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's growing in green slimy sheets? It's
not *really* and algae, but a cyanobacteria. A dosage of erythromycin
avaiable at most LFS's always works for me.

http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#cyano

HTH

billy