Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Dan Drake

Default Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:28:33 UTC, neilw
wrote:

As far as I'm aware the only two products that remove the ammonias that
chloramine leaves behind are API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox. Most other dechlorinators claim to remove
chloramine and probably do, but the chloramine leaves behind ammonias
which aren't removed.

Is there any reason to believe that the claims for Amquel are a lie? It
is claimed to remove ammonia (but not to isolate it so much that the
plants and bacteria can't get it), and many people use it specifically to
keep ammonia under control in tanks that have a temporary shortage of
biological filtration.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Harry Muscle

wrote:

As far as I'm aware the only two products that remove the ammonias that
chloramine leaves behind are API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox. Most other dechlorinators claim to remove
chloramine and probably do, but the chloramine leaves behind ammonias
which aren't removed.

Is there any reason to believe that the claims for Amquel are a lie? It
is claimed to remove ammonia (but not to isolate it so much that the
plants and bacteria can't get it), and many people use it specifically to
keep ammonia under control in tanks that have a temporary shortage of
biological filtration.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

I found some neat articles in google groups about how amquel works
chemically, from what I read, it all seems to make sense.

Harry

Old 09-01-2004, 01:49 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:28:33 +0100, neilw
wrote:

As far as I'm aware the only two products that remove the ammonias that
chloramine leaves behind are API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox.

This is definitely not true. There are plenty of other dechlorinators
that also deal with the ammonia.

A few others:

Seachem Prime, Tetra "AquaSafe NH/CL Formula", Jungle's "ACE", and
Kordon's "AmQuel". And I'd bet there are more.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua