Old 10-01-2004, 04:35 AM
LeighMo

Default BBA [was (almost) free plants]

Amano shrimp are far less picky, and will eat it with gusto all day.

Really? I wonder if cherry shrimp like it?

I've never had BBA in the tank with the Amano shrimp. I did have some BBA once
in a my ghost shrimp tank. Never noticed them eating it, but they seem to be
distinctly more carnivorous than Amano shrimp.

FWIW, Amano shrimp are widely available now. If your LFS doesn't have them,
they will usually be happy to special order them for you. They are often
called "algae-eating shrimp" on the stock lists, so that's what you have to ask
for. They won't know what you're talking about if you ask for Amano shrimp.

When you go to pick them up, take some plant clippings from your tank. Ask the
clerk to put them in the bag with the shrimp for you. It will help with the
water quality. (Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, which can
build up fast in that little plastic bag.) And it reduces stress for them.
Shrimp need something to cling to, or they freak out and try to cling to each
other, which freaks them out even more. IME, adding a few plant clippings to
the bag goes a long way toward reducing losses when you're bringing shrimp
home.

Leigh