Old 04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Lighting ... or Correct Me if I am Wrong

2 bulb set up is not really a 2 bulb setup... it's a single bulb, with a 4
straight pin connection.... it is not quite the epitomy of DIY, but it's
close...

I built my canopy for my 55g, with scrap wood, 2 cans of paint, and 2 shop
lights, canibalized to save weight, and total cost was less than $40..

it can be done, but in the end, it's what you want out of it... sometimes
you NEED to go farther to get where you want to go, otherwise, you're just
coming up short.... and that is a life lesson I learned from someone right
here in this group... remember Jim Brown???

--
RedForeman ©®

"Homie" wrote in message
om...
Well, even the two bulb 55watt setup at ahsupply is $65. This is
without any shell (hood)... and doesn't include the number of hours it
takes to put it all together. Sometimes, DIY is not all that much
cheaper.

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message

DIY for under $50... hee hee

--
RedForeman ©®

"Giancarlo Podio" wrote in message
m...
I find the AGA tripple T8 fixture to be a great product. It has been
working very well for me without any problems at all. The reflector is
good, the bulbs are very valid and it uses an efficient electronic
ballast, what more do you want for under $100?

Giancarlo Podio

"Dunter Powries" fech.redcap@spedlin wrote in message

Homie wrote in message
m...
...I am wondering why all-glass
chose to use 32watt bulbs (T8) and not 40watt bulbs (T12) in their
setup.

What I always wonder is why All-Glass bothers to make lighting at

ALL,
since
their hoods and 'reflectors' are invariably cheap and inefficient

pieces
of
crap. The best thing that can be said for All-Glass hoods is that

they
make
decent platforms for retrofitting somebody else's lighting kits.

kush

Old 04-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Giancarlo Podio

You must have a better source for hardware than I do Between
ballast, end caps, polished aluminum reflector, housing materials,
paint, wires and good bulbs I usually end up spending about the same
as the new fixture. If I have an old fixture or canopy then it's a
different story, a retrofit is a great money saver. Either way, even
if you can build it yourself cheaper it doesn't mean that their
product is no good, that's what I was referring to. I'm a DIY guy too,
but having used and pulled many of their light strips apart, I
disagree with the statement that they are useless. Actually I feel
they provide better bulbs in their fixtures than many other
manufacturers. Most of the times when you buy a fixture the first
thing you have to do is replace the cheap bulbs that come with it. The
bulbs AGA provides are actually quite good for planted tanks. Anyway,
just an opinion, we all have our preferences and reasons...

Regards
Giancarlo Podio

Old 04-02-2004, 08:02 PM
RedForeman ©®

I do, I guess it's unfair to use my sources in comparison, but some are
actually bought at home depot, etc....

example
55g canopy
1 shoplight fixture, ballast included $19.99
2 general bulbs @$4 each
1-12' poplar - 11.99
1 4'x8' plywood - 17.99

I didn't actually have to buy the shoplight or bulbs, I had it laying around
from other jobs/construction, so my total cost will be roughly $40, because
I use foil tape as the reflector, or white paint....

For my 29g, I did the ahsupply 1x55pcf kit, and the DIY ideas started
flowing... if the AG fixtures are as good, then great.... ah has a great
reflector, but all the rest can be had elsewhere....