Old 31-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Homie

Default Lighting ... or Correct Me if I am Wrong

Thanks...

Can I pick your brain for one more thing? I am wondering why all-glass
chose to use 32watt bulbs (T8) and not 40watt bulbs (T12) in their
setup. There is little gain for me to buy 3 bulb 96watt setup over my
current 2 bulb 80watt setup. If, however, I could get a triple tube
40watt setup, this would be worthwhile. Any thoughts as to why this
might be the case?

Also, have you (or anyone) heard of 40watt T8 bulbs available?

I can empathize 3rd shift. I used to do security at a hotel
overnight while in college... no easy task at all... does powerful
things to the body and mind.

magus kent wrote in message ...
wrote in :

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:07:22 -0000, magus kent
wrote:

Magnus

The placement of your comments confuses me. Are you saying my current
setup of two 40watt 48" bulbs gives me 80 watts and your four 55 watt
setup gives you only 110 watts?

If so, you seem to suggest that my logic was correct. True?

Thanks

I work third shift so sometimes my early AM posts show a brain
desperately in need of sleep. My fixture (four 55 watt lamps) is for a
total tank wattage of 220 watts. Your two 40 watt fixture yields a total
of 80 watts for the tank. This is discounting any differences such as
I've heard that compact fluors are twice as bright per watt as standard
fluors. All I know is that it does put out a lot of light. And one
thing I haven't mentioned is that the lamps I'm using are at 6500K which
is fairly close to what the plants need (5700K)..m

Old 01-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Dunter Powries

Homie wrote in message
m...
...I am wondering why all-glass
chose to use 32watt bulbs (T8) and not 40watt bulbs (T12) in their
setup.

What I always wonder is why All-Glass bothers to make lighting at ALL, since
their hoods and 'reflectors' are invariably cheap and inefficient pieces of
crap. The best thing that can be said for All-Glass hoods is that they make
decent platforms for retrofitting somebody else's lighting kits.

kush

Old 02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Harry Muscle

"Homie" wrote in message
m...
Thanks...

Can I pick your brain for one more thing? I am wondering why all-glass
chose to use 32watt bulbs (T8) and not 40watt bulbs (T12) in their
setup. There is little gain for me to buy 3 bulb 96watt setup over my
current 2 bulb 80watt setup. If, however, I could get a triple tube
40watt setup, this would be worthwhile. Any thoughts as to why this
might be the case?

Also, have you (or anyone) heard of 40watt T8 bulbs available?

I can empathize 3rd shift. I used to do security at a hotel
overnight while in college... no easy task at all... does powerful
things to the body and mind.

32watt T8 bulbs put out the same amount of light as a 40watt T12 bulb.
There was a post regarding this long time back, which basically said that
you could count a 32watt T8 bulb as a 40watt bulbs when comparing watts per
gallon. So for the purpose of wpg, three T8 32watt bulbs would produce an
equevalent of 120watts of flourescent light.

Hope that makes sense,
Harry

magus kent wrote in message

wrote in :

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:07:22 -0000, magus kent
wrote:

Magnus

The p ment of your comments confuses me. Are you saying my current

Old 02-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I find the AGA tripple T8 fixture to be a great product. It has been
working very well for me without any problems at all. The reflector is
good, the bulbs are very valid and it uses an efficient electronic
ballast, what more do you want for under $100?

Giancarlo Podio

Old 04-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Homie

Well, even the two bulb 55watt setup at ahsupply is $65. This is
without any shell (hood)... and doesn't include the number of hours it
takes to put it all together. Sometimes, DIY is not all that much
cheaper.

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message ...
DIY for under $50... hee hee

Old 04-02-2004, 04:28 PM
RedForeman ©®

2 bulb set up is not really a 2 bulb setup... it's a single bulb, with a 4
straight pin connection.... it is not quite the epitomy of DIY, but it's
close...

I built my canopy for my 55g, with scrap wood, 2 cans of paint, and 2 shop
lights, canibalized to save weight, and total cost was less than $40..

it can be done, but in the end, it's what you want out of it... sometimes
you NEED to go farther to get where you want to go, otherwise, you're just
coming up short.... and that is a life lesson I learned from someone right
here in this group... remember Jim Brown???

--
RedForeman ©®

om...

Old 04-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Giancarlo Podio

You must have a better source for hardware than I do Between
ballast, end caps, polished aluminum reflector, housing materials,
paint, wires and good bulbs I usually end up spending about the same
as the new fixture. If I have an old fixture or canopy then it's a
different story, a retrofit is a great money saver. Either way, even
if you can build it yourself cheaper it doesn't mean that their
product is no good, that's what I was referring to. I'm a DIY guy too,
but having used and pulled many of their light strips apart, I
disagree with the statement that they are useless. Actually I feel
they provide better bulbs in their fixtures than many other
manufacturers. Most of the times when you buy a fixture the first
thing you have to do is replace the cheap bulbs that come with it. The
bulbs AGA provides are actually quite good for planted tanks. Anyway,
just an opinion, we all have our preferences and reasons...

Regards
Giancarlo Podio