Old 10-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Harry Muscle

Default UGH! Snails!

"Troy Bruder" wrote in message
I had no idea! A clown loach or two would make an excellent addition to

the
tank. Thanks!

Troy

Clown loaches need to be in a group of three at least to be happy. They
also get big, 12". Make sure your tank is big enough.

Harry

Old 11-02-2004, 12:31 AM
Marcia, Bethany and Me

"Troy Bruder" wrote in message
I recently added a single new plant to my tank... Now, I'm infested with
small snails... I'm sure they are eating my plants, so what's the best

way
to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Troy

"CS" wrote in message
Loaches are a good snail eater. Clown Loaches and tiger loaches (Botia
striata)---there are tons of others species as well.

I want neither loaches nor snails in my tanks, these loaches can
be violent predators that will destroy eggs, fry and adults. Best
to remove the fish from your tank temporarily, lower the water
level and nuke the plants with a copper sulfate solution. Wash the
upper regions of the glass with a concentrated copper sulfate
solution. Research your plants and see if any species is
overly sensitive to the copper sulfate solution, if so, remove these
plants and treat them separately with lower concentrations
of copper sulfate. Snails are bad news if you are trying to
grow plants, and when you eventually sell some of your
plants, a guarantee that they are snail free should assist.
-Daryl

Old 11-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Troy Bruder

Ugh.... It's not.. I only have a 30 gallon.. Maybe loaches aren't my best
bet? The tank is already slightly crowded.

Troy

Old 12-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Dacaprice

"Troy Bruder" wrote in message ...
I recently added a single new plant to my tank... Now, I'm infested with
small snails... I'm sure they are eating my plants, so what's the best way
to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Troy

I added a yellow tailed botia because I was advised that he would eat
the snails and he wasn't as aggressive as clown loaches. Well I've
never seen that thing eat a snail since I've had him. I found that
the easiest way to get rid of those things is to wash your hands, and
stick your arm in the tank and pull the snails off the surface and
throw them in the trash. Do this every day or every other day for a
couple of weeks and you will notice a huge difference. In a thirty
gallon tank this should only take a few minutes each day.

Chris

Old 12-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Marcia, Bethany and Me

"Dacaprice" wrote in message
om...
[...]

And if following your advice, then when one gets up in
the morning to see their tank, they see dozens of snails
on the glass and plants, and they see work to do, and
they have work to do. Best to totally eradicate the pests.
Simply put, snails take joy away from the hobby. And
snails are costly in the damage they do to valuable plants.
-Daryl S. Kabatoff

Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Claire

I like my snails :-/ and very little damage to my plants.

I've got apple snails, ramshorns and Malaysian Trumpet Snails in a small
tank, while I'm waiting for my 42 us gallon to cycle. and a random snail in
the large tank that hitched in on a plant and is now living through
horrendous fishless cycling conditions in the tank (ammonia now 0, nitrite
5.0 (max test will read))

Don't think I could bring myself to kill a snail, even if it were doing
damage (however having a fish that would is another matter, but at least
then it's food). I really am a wuss.

Claire

"Marcia, Bethany and Me" wrote in message
newslDWb.478986$ts4.472466@pd7tw3no...

om...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Dacaprice

And if following your advice, then when one gets up in
the morning to see their tank, they see dozens of snails
on the glass and plants, and they see work to do, and
they have work to do. Best to totally eradicate the pests.
Simply put, snails take joy away from the hobby. And
snails are costly in the damage they do to valuable plants.
-Daryl S. Kabatoff

He originally asked for help with his snail problem. I offered a
suggestion from my personal experience that was very effective and
inexpensive. Stick to offering useful information.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Dacaprice

And if following your advice, then when one gets up in
the morning to see their tank, they see dozens of snails
on the glass and plants, and they see work to do, and
they have work to do. Best to totally eradicate the pests.
Simply put, snails take joy away from the hobby. And
snails are costly in the damage they do to valuable plants.
-Daryl S. Kabatoff

He originally asked for help with his snail problem. I offered a
suggestion from my personal experience that was very effective and
inexpensive. Stick to offering useful information.

Ugh, I am a backlogged idiot Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2004 05:30 PM
Ugh, I am a backlogged idiot Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2004 05:30 PM
UGH! Snails! Troy Bruder Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2004 04:42 PM
Stinking Fungus-UGH KPDOBES Gardening 2 03-06-2003 04:08 AM
ugh - all my roses are yellow torgo Roses 0 16-04-2003 05:08 PM