Old 26-03-2004, 06:24 AM
Robert Flory

Default Snail Hunting fish - recommendations ?

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Robert Flory wrote:
I prefer my Angelicius over my yo-yos ....

Have you actually seen a Botia kubotai (aka angelicus) actually eating a
snail? I have a couple of little ones (1.5") in my 20g hoping they'll
eat the snails there.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Truth be known, I've never seen any of my botias eat a snail ;-) But snail
population crashes occurred whenever I drop them into a tank.

As for what my LFS sells as angelicus .... it isn't a kabotai.... after
checking loaches....
Maybe histrionica or rostrata came out of a tank labeled angelicus

Bob

Old 26-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Geoff Kemp

Either the yoyo or zebra would be fine with that mix -- they're not
particularly
aggressive. In theory, the yoyo can get up to 6", but I've yet to see

one that
big. Zebras max out a bit smaller, say 4-5". They both like company

(I've
got 4 yoyos in my 29g community tank), so plan on a small school, not just

one.

Will either of those take help with my snail problem ??

Geoff

Old 26-03-2004, 03:39 PM
JHudson

Hi
I have Skunk Botia's, they eat snails and they are smaller.

--
Janine Hudson
Sure. Fine. Whatever. -Syzygy

"Shawn P. Good" wrote in message
news
Hello :

I bought quite alot of plants about a month and a half ago to start up my
new planted tank. Seems like there were some hitchhikers, as now my
aquarium is full of small (~5-8mm) snails. No idea what species, but they
leave the algae alone and love eating holes in the leaves of all my plants
(except the onion plant - go figure !).

Anyways, at some point in the past, I've seen someone post here about
species that love to sneak through the vegetation and pluck snails from
the
plants - and I want some ! What species was that ?

Thanks.

Shawn

Old 26-03-2004, 03:39 PM
JHudson

Hi
I have my skunk botia's in with corys, platies and white clouds. Some
people say they are agressive, but I've never had trouble with them and the
snails in my tank are next to gone now.

--
Janine Hudson
Sure. Fine. Whatever. -Syzygy
I have. I did. It's done. -Fight the Future
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a dark side and a light side and it
holds the universe together.
I'm completely normal, just the rest of the world is nuts...
There are lies, damn lies and statistics!

"Geoff Kemp" wrote in message
I believe a YoYo loach does not get as large as a Clown.. Effective at

the
ridding of snails...

What sort of loach would be aok in a tank with guppies, bronze cory cats

and
neon tetras ?? I relasie that a clown woulod be out of the question, but

how
big do the yo-yo and zebra get ??

forgot to add that I need it to be able to take care of snails too

Geoff

Old 26-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Andy Hill

"Geoff Kemp" wrote:
Either the yoyo or zebra would be fine with that mix -- they're not

particularly
aggressive. In theory, the yoyo can get up to 6", but I've yet to see

one that
big. Zebras max out a bit smaller, say 4-5". They both like company

(I've
got 4 yoyos in my 29g community tank), so plan on a small school, not just

one.

Will either of those take help with my snail problem ??

Sure, both will. IIRC, Zebras have a somewhat better rep as snailers, but both
will eat snails. Lots of times it comes down to what you can score from your
LFS.

Old 26-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Rick Kohrs

Have a school of 4 clown loaches, no more snails. Sure they breed
below the gravel, but dare one to wiggle out and it becomes a snack
for a clown. Funny watching the clowns suck out the snail, looks like
they are smoking a cigar.

Clowns are also very amusing and do a great job of playing dead.

Yes Clowns can get big, but my LFS said he'd pay big money for a large
clown loach. He said they are very slow growers.

Rick

Old 28-03-2004, 06:35 AM
Robert Flory

"Al Boswell" wrote in message
Shawn
My Clown Loach has done a number on my snails, pond and Ramshorn. The only
problem is know that the snails are gone I can't catch him. The clown

loach
can get rather large over time so I would like to get rid of him without
disturbing the plants.

Al

Lots of luck.....
I ended up nearly tearing everything out catching the last of my angel egg
eating yoyos ....
The last one would burrow in the substrate to hide.

bob