Old 02-07-2003, 04:56 PM
bobkiely

Default Coon hunting invitation

The set-up: Just yesterday 7/1, I was telling my friend Joe about the lily I
got from Muffin and how big the leaves were and he commented on how the frog
will appreciate that and I told him I haven't seen the frog in about 5
eeks - that maybe he was a victim of a raccoon, a raven or something very
negative so I sent the following e-mail to him and several other buddies
last night...

Joe:
Seems like every time we talk about something, it happens.
Title this: Where the hell are all the coyotes when you need one?
10:15 Tuesday night...

I'm sitting here in the recliner watching NYPD Blue and I look to my left
and a big ass raccoon is staring me right in the face! I had the back door
open as usual and I haven't had a screen on that door for about 5 years so
he just wanted to see what was in the house and came right in.

As soon as I yelled at him he turned and headed out but then stopped right
at the door threshold, waiting to see if I was following him. When he saw I
was he took off out the gate through the pickets. Either there was two of
them or he circled around and came onto the patio from the next door's area
as 30 seconds later there he was again. This time he climbed one of those
Italian cypress trees at the end of my patio and I couldn't see him anymore.

When I followed him to the door I noticed that my feet were getting wet as
he had tracked water in from the pond. When I looked closer at the patio, I
saw the remains of a goldfish and there were little miniature handprints all
over the patio and water all over around the pond.

A few minutes later I looked out again from the chair closest to the patio
and there he was again standing in the shallow area of the pond trying to
scoop out another fish. When I ran out to stop him, he got out of the pond
but didn't run this time and almost stood his ground...kind of surprised me
that he was so bold. Kind of freaked me out to tell the truth as he almost
looked like he was going to come after me.

Well if he's that bold, how am I ever going to discourage him from eating
all my fish while I stand by and watch?

I haven't looked at it for years as its been in with my shotgun, but I went
to the closet and dusted off my 45 year old Sheridan pellet rifle. I thought
I had some pellets but I couldn't find them and in retrospect, if you pump
the rifle 15 times or so, it can be as powerful as a 22 rifle and I didn't
want to kill the raccoon, just let him know he shouldn't come back here.

I put a wooden toothpick in the barrel and tested it on a pillow and it shot
out pretty well but only at a very close distance and after the way he
acted, I didn't think I wanted to get that close to him. While I was looking
for the pellets, I came across a bunch of golf tees. The shanks of the tees
are about the exact diameter of a pellet so I took a side cutter and cut a
bunch of them to about 3/4" and tested them...worked well.

Just about then, I look out and there he is again so I stuck the pellet gun
out the door. As I opened the door he took off for the gate but I got a shot
off and I'm pretty sure I got him in the butt. Apparently, either I missed
or it didn't phase him at all as 2 minutes later there he was again. This
time he looked right at me as I squeezed the trigger and I got him right in
the snout. I know it stung as he flinched big-time when it hit him.

I camped out near the patio door waiting for him to return and about 10
minutes later he came to the gate but didn't come in. As I'm typing this
about every paragraph, I go to the door to see if there's any sign of him
and there hasn't been any. Crossing my fingers, maybe it worked. Going to
check again right now....back....no sign of him and the water he splashed
all around is almost dried up, as is the carpeting.

If any of you guys want to do any coon hunting, come-on over tomorrow
night - no license required! Don't bring your dogs though - too noisy. *LOL*

12:20 AM Just looked again - still clear
1:30 AM - yawn - still OK
2:35 AM - getting sleepy - I don't think he's been back
4:40 AM - DAMN - I fell asleep and he came back and ate all the fish
5:30 AM - just kidding (about the 4:40 report)
BK

Old 02-07-2003, 04:56 PM
John Rutz

bobkiely wrote:
The set-up: Just yesterday 7/1, I was telling my friend Joe about the lily I
got from Muffin and how big the leaves were and he commented on how the frog
will appreciate that and I told him I haven't seen the frog in about 5
eeks - that maybe he was a victim of a raccoon, a raven or something very
negative so I sent the following e-mail to him and several other buddies
last night...

bold little criters arent they, be carefull as they have been known to
atack seems they arent afraid of much

good luck in keeping him discouraged

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 02-07-2003, 07:44 PM
jammer

I found a baby coon once. SOOOO cute. I approached and mama came out
of nowhere up on two feet and taught me not to mess with baby coons.
Be careful. Maybe a live trap and relocate it and hope it doesnt have
little ones to take care of. ??????

Old 02-07-2003, 07:56 PM
K30a

Probably the first thing to do is call the
fish and game people or local animal control.
The laws seem to vary widely from area to area.
The last thing you want to do is try and stuff
an angry raccoon under your coat and say, 'What raccoon, officer?'

k30a
Old 02-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Dave Bell

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, bobkiely wrote:

If any of you guys want to do any coon hunting, come-on over tomorrow
night - no license required! Don't bring your dogs though - too noisy. *LOL*

Great story, Bob! It brought back a memory of our son, back maybe 19-20
years, when he was about 12. Scott had been listening to some program,
where some guys were talking about 'coon hunting in th South, with dogs
treeing them and all. Now, you have to realize the Scott was born and
raised a California kid, white liberal, and all. He was incensed, and
asking how these guys could go on the radio and *brag* about wha tthey
were doing. I was puzzled for a minute, then the light dawned! "Scott,
that's RACcoon, RACcoon..." "Oh. Never mind."

Dave

Old 02-07-2003, 09:21 PM
JSin

bobkiely wrote:

If any of you guys want to do any coon hunting, come-on over tomorrow
night - no license required! Don't bring your dogs though - too noisy. *LOL*

12:20 AM Just looked again - still clear
1:30 AM - yawn - still OK
2:35 AM - getting sleepy - I don't think he's been back
4:40 AM - DAMN - I fell asleep and he came back and ate all the fish
5:30 AM - just kidding (about the 4:40 report)
BK

Have you ever tried a racoon box?? Just like monkeys once they get ahold
of something they will not let go. sooo you use that behavior to
relocate them.

Build a box. drill a small hole about 1 inch across in the side. It is
going to need a hinged top. Place a rubber dog toy or other med size
object with smelly stuff like peanut butter or tuna water on the toy.
Secure the box to a heavy object. Wait till the bugger grabs the toy and
starts wailing when he can't get it out. Call animal control to relocate
him.

We used them to relocate many a raccoon that liked trash in apt
complexes I have managed built right they do work.

--
JSin
Lost Generation Custom Tattoo

Old 02-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Anne Lurie

BK,

You might think about calling animal control in your area -- I don't think
the raccoon's "lack of fear" is a good sign. (I read somewhere that one
sign of a rabid animal is that it does not have the appropriate reaction
when it sees humans. OTOH, it may simply be a bold animal that's used to
being around humans' yards, etc.)

I can recall -- years & years ago -- being on vacation and watching a
raccoon come to the kitchen door because the lasagna smelled sooooo good!
(But it was clearly a very young raccoon.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 02-07-2003, 10:46 PM

let us not forget they are #1 carriers of rabies. Ingrid

John Rutz wrote:
bold little criters arent they, be carefull as they have been known to
atack seems they arent afraid of much

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:56 PM

I think I mentioned about my Papillon hunting dog? he gets out to my mothers and
goes ape-shit nuts chasing chipmunks thru the hosta (where all but his flag like tail
disappears). this time it was our yearly picnic and he slipped out as people arrived
and I hear him barking it up very excited so I start calling him and just as I
stepped outside to see what is up he comes flashing out from the brush and under the
tree hauling ass for the house low to the ground, butt tucked under. Out of the
brush and out from under the tree came what I thought was a great dane until it came
out into the yard itself and hauled up real quick when it saw humans.... head comes
up and it is one very irate momma dear going to make toe jam out of the little yapper
bothering her fawn I suppose. I run at the deer shaking the towel I had in my hand
and it still took her a few seconds consideration before she wheeling and leapt off.

last week my mother lets HoneyChild the Pom out to do her thing about 5 feet from the
door and out strolls a deer into the yard. HoneyChild took a curious step towards
the deer and the deer is stamping, Mom yells waves her hands throws a rock at the
deer misses and HoneyChild gets the point and comes back running.

DH went out that day, got her a BB pistol, set up a target and left her practicing
her shot. Gotta protect the little furballs. I would really like to invite
somebody bring their deer hounds over and exercise them in moms 2 acres. Deer think
they own it all and been munching everything to the ground. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
Probably the first thing to do is call the
fish and game people or local animal control.
The laws seem to vary widely from area to area.
The last thing you want to do is try and stuff
an angry raccoon under your coat and say, 'What raccoon, officer?'

k30a

--
I would have BEOKAM'd but its afternoon and no cofffee

Old 03-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Denise

BK, I feel for ya!

I already posted about my doing away with a coon going after my fish (he
didn't get any fish but I sure got him) A few people here didn't like
that I killed the coon but no way am I going to put up with any animal
killing my beloved koi.

You visitor sounds very aggressive and he's going to keep coming back
and getting your fish until you get him.

As for the person with deer munching everything, you can mix a little
Hinder in a quart spray bottle with water. I live in thick woods with
many deer and they do not touch my beautiful flowers and shrubs because
the Hinder tastes baaaaad. Theree is a warning on the label not to use
around ponds. I don't spray any of the stuff anywhere near my koi pond
which is so close to the house that deer don't eat those plants.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

BV what is the term for spitting and snorting all over my monitor, keyboard,
table, papers, etc from laughing so hard again?

Thanks for the laugh K30a!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 03-07-2003, 12:08 PM
*muffin*

they LOVE marshmallows!!

just put a couple IN a trap,,,, & stand back.

we used this method trapping at our barn( luckily they have NOT found our
pond,, hope its the dogs that keep them away..)
& we found one in the trap & another trying to get INTO the cage to get the
marshmallows his 'friend' got lucky to have!

muffin oh, yea I gotta post a pic of the one we had stuffed...

Old 03-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Gunnar

i too had coon problems he got all of my fish i finally caught him in a have
a heart trap and took it for a long drive when released he tried going after
me.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"JSin" wrote in message
bobkiely wrote:

If any of you guys want to do any coon hunting, come-on over tomorrow
night - no license required! Don't bring your dogs though - too noisy.

*LOL*

12:20 AM Just looked again - still clear
1:30 AM - yawn - still OK
2:35 AM - getting sleepy - I don't think he's been back
4:40 AM - DAMN - I fell asleep and he came back and ate all the fish
5:30 AM - just kidding (about the 4:40 report)
BK

Have you ever tried a racoon box?? Just like monkeys once they get ahold
of something they will not let go. sooo you use that behavior to
relocate them.

snip

I have always preferred the box balanced on a stick trap. You tie a piece of
string to the stick and put a pile of bird seed under the box...when the
raccoon grabs the seed you pull the string, and the stick is supposed to
fall and drop the box. Doesn't always work, and I have gotten myself caught
in the box a few times to be honest, but I still like the design.

W.E. Coyote