Old 07-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Tom B.

Default How often should I dose Seachem?

I have a 20L tank that quite a few plants in it. What I am wondering is how
ofter should I dose with Seachem flourish plant fertilizer? Right now I am
only dosing the correct amount for the replacment water whenever I do a
water change, about once a week. Should I dose the recommended amount more
often or continue like I am ?

Old 07-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Eric Schreiber

Tom B. wrote:

I have a 20L tank that quite a few plants in it. What I am wondering
is how ofter should I dose with Seachem flourish plant fertilizer?
Right now I am only dosing the correct amount for the replacment
water whenever I do a water change, about once a week. Should I dose
the recommended amount more often or continue like I am ?

The answer will be different for every tank. If you're satisfied with
how the tank is operating right now, then the best advice is probably
just keep doing what you're doing.

If you want to experiment a bit, though, try changing the dosing levels
for a few weeks and see if plant growth improves, or if algae goes
nuts, and so on.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 07-04-2004, 02:05 PM
CS

I tend to dose 2 times per week. I would start with 1/2 the recommended
dosage first and slowly inch up--

Lowcoaster

Old 08-04-2004, 05:33 AM
Graham Broadbridge

"Tom B." wrote in message
I have a 20L tank that quite a few plants in it. What I am wondering is

how
ofter should I dose with Seachem flourish plant fertilizer? Right now I am
only dosing the correct amount for the replacment water whenever I do a
water change, about once a week. Should I dose the recommended amount more
often or continue like I am ?

If the plants look happy, and you have no algae problems, I'd keep doing
what you're doing :-)

If it's not broken ....

Graham.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Dave Millman

Graham Broadbridge wrote:

"Tom B." wrote in message
What I am wondering is how
ofter should I dose with Seachem flourish plant fertilizer? Right now I am
only dosing the correct amount for the replacment water whenever I do a
water change, about once a week. Should I dose the recommended amount more
often or continue like I am ?

If the plants look happy, and you have no algae problems, I'd keep doing
what you're doing :-)

If it's not broken ....

Tom would be very wise to follow Graham's advice here. If the plants are
healthy, and algae is not a problem, increasing nutrients is not going to help.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Tom B.

I have done some research on this topic and I have realized how much of a
loaded question this was. I am going to basically figure it out for myself
by doing what I always have and then changing one thing at a time (as much
as possible). I have high (~40PPM) nitrates but other than that I think my
tank is doing great since I switched to a Fluval 204 filter. I wanted an
Ehiem but I don't have the $$.

Anybody have any idea why my nitrates are so high? Nitrates have pretty much
been rock steady where they are since I started testing the water. Nothing I
do seems to help. I tried large water changes, lots of plants, and feeding
less. I also tested my tap water and it is around 5PPM, bought a completly
different test kit and same results. I'm thinking I might remove a piece of
driftwood and plant even more.

Old 13-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Graham Broadbridge

"Tom B." wrote in message
[...]

If you're fertilizing and the nitrates are steady, then you've reached a
balance between the plant consumption and filter generation of nitrates. To
reduce them just use water changes until you reach 5-10 ppm nitrate. Any
lower and the plants may suffer.

If you have a balance at that level be happy :-) To increase plant growth
you would need to add more light and CO2, then again search for the balance
that you now have.

Graham.