Old 27-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Troy Bruder

Default Should I raise the pH?

I have a densly planted 30 gallon tank with pressurized CO2 injection and 3+
watts per gallon. Some of my plants are beginning to look a little "drab"..

Here some specifics:

Temp: 72-73 degrees
pH 6.4 (wait to raise)
dKH 4
Nitrites 5 (or less)
Nitrates 20

Any suggestions?? Do you think maybe the pH/dKH is too low??

Thanks,
Troy

Old 28-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Troy, seems like you have plenty of CO2, even more than needed. If
anything, reduce the amount of CO2, that will bring your PH up a
little, aim for around 6.6 with the current KH, that will give you a
CO2 level of around 25-30ppm, there's no need for more than 30ppm.

But I'm sure that's not the problem with your plants, you have enough
light, you have enough CO2.... what about the rest of the nutrients?
Nitrates are good, nitrites are not so good for your fish, looks like
the tank still needs to complete cycling. What trace elements do you
add (flourish, TMG, PMDD...)? If you can, also measure PO4, that would
likely be required with the amount of light you have. Fleet Enema is a
good source of PO4 and it's easy and cheap to buy at the local
pharmacy. The values you have listed are fine, I think it's the ones
you haven't listed that are likely to blame.

Give us some general info such as water change routine, substrate
used, fertilizers used and a description of how the plants look,
something more descriptive than "drab" if possible :-)

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 31-07-2004, 03:42 AM
Troy Bruder

Actually, I do VERY little...

I change approximately 16-18 gallons every 10 days.. I add 3ml of FloraVit
to that new water... That's it... I'm considering a PMDD, but I'm not
interested in "mixing it up myself", so I'll buy a pre-made mix if I can
find one (Greg Watson's?)..

Troy

m...