Old 08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Ozdude

Default First Tests results are in.

"George Pontis" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
Hi Guys, I am not sure what to make of this (this is for the new 4' tank
which is now lightly stocked (fish), with a couple of inert rocks, a
large
piece of scrubbed and prepared bogwood, quite a few plants and black
washed
(new) gravel about 3" thick, 2 x 36W T5 fluoro - 219L/58 US Gal):

pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
GH 268.5ppm
KH 89.5ppm
CO2 2.377ppm

If I am interpreting this correctly, my buffering is OK (KH). The GH
indicates moderately hard water. It could be hard to pull the pH down
with
this amount of GH and my plants aren't getting enough CO2 for optimal
growth?

Ozdude, your water will work out well with CO2 injection. The GH does not
affect
pH much, KH is a measure of the carbonate buffer that balances pH and CO2.
With
KH=89.5 (divide by 17.9 for German degrees), you would hit pH=7.0 with 15
ppm CO2
or ph=7.2 at 9ppm CO2.

Thanks for your commentary. I just used Chuck's Planted Aquaria Windows
based tank calculator which gave the same projection results. I guess,
assuming all the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH don't bounce around or
spike too much, it's just going to be a matter of getting the CO2 amount
that's inputted right?

Also, do you know if it's normal for CO2 to be this low without injection?
My plants are all growing, but I am guessing if I get the CO2 right they
will *really* be growing

Thanks,

Oz

[IBC] tests Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 29-08-2005 01:06 PM
ammonia tests *muffin* Ponds 1 30-09-2003 07:02 AM
Garden Report: Soil tests Back, etc. Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 5 10-09-2003 05:22 AM
[Fwd: Tests find traces of GM crops in US wheat supply] [email protected] sci.agriculture 0 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
[Fwd: Tests find traces of GM crops in US wheat supply] [email protected] sci.agriculture 0 04-06-2003 06:32 AM