Old 20-01-2005, 03:37 AM
John >

Default Another how much light question?

I just purchased an 850g aquarium that is 3' 6" high, The fw.misc group
thinks that the "watts per gallon" rule doesn't count in an aquarium of that
size. I think my biggest concern is the height of the tank.

I plan on growing average Wisconsin Pond weeds (oops) plants. Milfoil (not
eurasion) Hornwort, Cabomba, Anacharis, Duckweed, possibly even a few water
lilies.

I plan on starting with about 440 watts of fluorescent lighting. High
Output T12 fixtures with Cool White bulbs (don't know the numbers).

Any idea's, comments, suggestions invited!
JOhn

Old 20-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Ozdude

"John " wrote in message
I just purchased an 850g aquarium that is 3' 6" high, The fw.misc group
thinks that the "watts per gallon" rule doesn't count in an aquarium of
that size. I think my biggest concern is the height of the tank.

I plan on growing average Wisconsin Pond weeds (oops) plants. Milfoil
(not eurasion) Hornwort, Cabomba, Anacharis, Duckweed, possibly even a few
water lilies.

I plan on starting with about 440 watts of fluorescent lighting. High
Output T12 fixtures with Cool White bulbs (don't know the numbers).

I'd go for T8's - 30% more lumen output I believe.

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old 20-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Richard Sexton

I'd go for T8's - 30% more lumen output I believe.

Sort of. More like the same light for less watts. Almost the same anyway,
depends on the tube.

I'm still coming to grips with the idea of an 850 gal tank. I think I'd
use sunlight or a 1000W MH bulb on a light mover. Or both.

To grow Cabomba?!?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 20-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Nikki Casali

Richard Sexton wrote:
I'd go for T8's - 30% more lumen output I believe.

Sort of. More like the same light for less watts. Almost the same anyway,
depends on the tube.

I'm still coming to grips with the idea of an 850 gal tank. I think I'd
use sunlight or a 1000W MH bulb on a light mover. Or both.

To grow Cabomba?!?

Underwater lighting needed!

Nikki

Old 20-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Elaine T

Ozdude wrote:
"John " wrote in message

I just purchased an 850g aquarium that is 3' 6" high, The fw.misc group
thinks that the "watts per gallon" rule doesn't count in an aquarium of
that size. I think my biggest concern is the height of the tank.

I plan on growing average Wisconsin Pond weeds (oops) plants. Milfoil
(not eurasion) Hornwort, Cabomba, Anacharis, Duckweed, possibly even a few
water lilies.

I plan on starting with about 440 watts of fluorescent lighting. High
Output T12 fixtures with Cool White bulbs (don't know the numbers).

I'd go for T8's - 30% more lumen output I believe.

Oz

Speaking of lumens, you might want to actually find out how many lumens
hit an "average Wisconson pond" and use enough light to hit that
intensity. A photographer can probably help with light measurements.
Then collect your weeds from around 3 feet of water. I'm with Richard -
I think you'll need MH or sunlight. A Solatube installed over the tank
would be spectacular. http://www.texassolatube.com/

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 21-01-2005, 02:20 AM
John >

Now I could have had a purpose for the metal chimney flashing that used to
be right were the tank is now. Many years ago there was a fireplace there
and I paid to have the chimney removed. I wonder if the guy could bring it
back.

JOhn

"Elaine T" wrote in message
om...
Ozdude wrote:
"John " wrote in
message ...

Old 21-01-2005, 02:23 AM
John >

I plan on starting with about 440 watts of fluorescent lighting. High
Output T12 fixtures with Cool White bulbs (don't know the numbers).

I'd go for T8's - 30% more lumen output I believe.

The High Output fixtures are 30% brighter than standard T12's. I made a
mistake, the HO lights are only the same diameter as T12's, not the same
power. This is 600% more light than the 120g tank with standard hood lights
that I am taking out.

JOhn