Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Starfish

Default tall background plants

Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what good tall background plant would
be that doesnt really require co2 or gravel (or can be planted in
rectangular planters)
Its for a GF tank, so it can't be too flimsy and has to grow relitively
fast!
hope someone can lead me into the right direction

TIA

Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 AM
Elaine T

Starfish wrote:
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what good tall background plant would
be that doesnt really require co2 or gravel (or can be planted in
rectangular planters)
Its for a GF tank, so it can't be too flimsy and has to grow relitively
fast!
hope someone can lead me into the right direction

TIA

The val you posted about earlier should do the trick if you put it in a
planter with fine gravel for the roots. It does need moderate light.
Anacharis (Elodea densa) is the classic plant for cooler GF tanks and
can be grown as bunches held together by lead weights.

It also would help to know your tank temp since it's GF and how bright
the lighting is.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 AM
Starfish

At the moment, the temp is sitting on23 degrees c and i have 1 4ft sylvania
growlux 36w light. tank is 72"x24"x28"

Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Elaine T

Starfish wrote:
At the moment, the temp is sitting on23 degrees c and i have 1 4ft sylvania
growlux 36w light. tank is 72"x24"x28"

Honestly, go for plastic or silk plans. Temps are fine, but you have
nowhere near the light for aquatic plants. They'll just turn brown and
melt.

The general rule of thumb for planted tanks is 1-2 watts of fluorescent
light per gallon - five 40 watt tubes would be the bare minimum for your
tank. If I had tank that size, I'd actually use a metal halide pendant.
Plus, with a deep tank like yours, 1 watt per gallon would only grow
low light plants because the light can't get to the bottom very well.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Rich M

In article ,
"Starfish" wrote:

Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what good tall background plant would
be that doesnt really require co2 or gravel (or can be planted in
rectangular planters)
Its for a GF tank, so it can't be too flimsy and has to grow relitively
fast!
hope someone can lead me into the right direction

TIA

If you get your WPG up to around 2...I've had great results with
moneywort (bacopa moneri sp?) in my planted GF tank. Leaves are thick
and tough and it roots very well. Same is true for all bacopas. They are
also much more attractive than some of the more "weedy" looking stem
plants IMO. Compared to most stem plants they are not fast growers but
they bush nicely when pruned and the cuttings take very well. They are
also extremely hardy and will tolerate adverse conditions. In less than
ideal enviroments they won't grow much but they usually won't die
either. When their needs are met they can actually grow fairly quickly
and will have a beautiful bright lime green color.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Elaine T

Starfish wrote:
ok...with metal hallide, how strong?

Honestly, I've never tried to light a tank that big. Wish I had the
space or money to try. *grin* Hopefully someone else who has actual
experience will answer. My best guess from reading around is 2 175 watt
bulbs spaced about 3 feet apart. MH lighting is pricey, but very
beautiful. You get the most amazing sunlight ripples in the tank.

If you're handy, here's an a very cool lighting effect for a 200g tank.
http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/mynewstuff_02.htm The 4 bulbs pictured
seems too low to me, but if you did something similar with 1-2 watts per
gallon of compact fluorescent or VHO lighting you could grow mid light
plants.

But hopefully someone who actually has a 200g planted tank will come to
my rescue...hint, hint!

Another thing - if you go to planted tank style light, you're going to
need more plants than just background ones to soak up nutrients.
Othewise you'll be cleaning algae nonstop. Even easy plants like java
moss, hornwort or anacharis will do the trick and your goldies will
appreciate the snack.

"Elaine T" wrote in message
t...

Old 06-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Starfish wrote:
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what good tall background plant would
be that doesnt really require co2 or gravel (or can be planted in
rectangular planters)
Its for a GF tank, so it can't be too flimsy and has to grow relitively
fast!
hope someone can lead me into the right direction

TIA

Cryptocoryne balansae.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 07-02-2005, 02:18 AM
NetMax

"Starfish" wrote in message
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what good tall background plant
would be that doesnt really require co2 or gravel (or can be planted in
rectangular planters)
Its for a GF tank, so it can't be too flimsy and has to grow relitively
fast!
hope someone can lead me into the right direction

TIA

Pennywort. Looks nice in tall hex tanks.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 10-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Tony Volk

Hornwort. It grows faster than anything I've seen (on 1.6 WPG!), it gives
out chemicals that kill algae, it's a nitrate/nutrient sponge, it can easily
grow over 2' tall, and it does not need to be rooted. In fact, if rooted,
it just anchors itself and continues to draw nutrients from the water. It
looks like Cambomba (sp?), but is about 1,000,000 times easier to keep.
It's also very hardy to different temperatures, pHs, and kHs. It's truly a
wonder plant!

Tony