Old 07-02-2005, 05:46 AM

Default new to co2

I just set up my pressurized co2 system and was wondering how many
bubbles per second others are using. I have is set a 2 bubbles/sec. I
know I should use KH and pH as a guide but, my phosphates are a little
high(~1.5 mg/l) and I'm not sure if I'm going to get the proper
results. Should I keep the co2 on at night or just when the lights are
on? Also, I couldn't find a reactor so I'm using one of those ladder
reactors that comes with the nutrafin DIY co2 system. Is that suitable
or should I upgrade to something better?

Old 07-02-2005, 05:49 AM

I forgot to ask if someone could recommend a good place for plants on
the internet. Thanks

Old 07-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Dave S

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just set up my pressurized co2 system and was wondering how many
bubbles per second others are using. I have is set a 2 bubbles/sec. I
know I should use KH and pH as a guide but, my phosphates are a little
high(~1.5 mg/l) and I'm not sure if I'm going to get the proper
results. Should I keep the co2 on at night or just when the lights are
on? Also, I couldn't find a reactor so I'm using one of those ladder
reactors that comes with the nutrafin DIY co2 system. Is that suitable
or should I upgrade to something better?

Firstly, having only just set up my own CO2 pressurised system I can tell
you that I'm not a world expert in this subject; however FWIW my reply would
be:

My understanding is that there is no correlation between PO4 and CO2. I had
the same problem with PO4 before I set up the CO2 (in fact my readings were
closer to 3.0! However I used Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge absorber and the
results are now close to zero.

In theory the CO2 should be turned off at night - in practice mine stays on.

I too use a Nutrafin reactor - As long as the CO2 is absorbed into the water
it should be OK - However others may wish to comment.

HTH - Dave

Old 07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Margolis

there is a correlation, phosphates can buffer the water also. This will
throw the ph/co2 charts off. The ph/co2 charts will only work if the only
buffer is bicarbonate.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 07-02-2005, 05:58 PM

I went out this morning and bought a Sera CO2 test kit. I thought it
would be like any other test kit where you fill it up a certain level
and put some drops in a test tube but this kit is different. It goes
inside the tank and constantly gives you a reading based upon the color
of the solution inside this plastic pyramid it came with. Will the
phosphates in the tank still obstruct my readings? BTW the java moss
was alreading pearling after the light was on only 45 min! ;-)

Old 08-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Robert Flory

Your local planted aquarium mates.....

Most local groups have swaps. We just had one Sat. in Oakland, CA. When the
weather warms up... a lot of people here will ship them the trim their
tanks.

Bob
ups.com...

Old 08-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Margolis

I have no idea how those litte things work. I doubt that the phosphates
would affect it much though. But I really don't know.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Iain Miller

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just set up my pressurized co2 system and was wondering how many
bubbles per second others are using. I have is set a 2 bubbles/sec. I
know I should use KH and pH as a guide but, my phosphates are a little
high(~1.5 mg/l) and I'm not sure if I'm going to get the proper
results.

Measure Kh & Ph & you will find out your CO2 level if you have the
appropriate table.

Should I keep the co2 on at night or just when the lights are
on?

Depends. If you are addiung a lot so that CO2 levels are up over 20ppm
during the day then I'd turn it off at night or the levels may climb
dangerously high. If you are running at say 12ppm & below during the day
then you should be able to leave it on all the time.

Also, I couldn't find a reactor so I'm using one of those ladder reactors
that comes with the nutrafin DIY co2 system. Is that suitable
or should I upgrade to something better?

If all the CO2 you are putting in is being dissolved then it isn't a
problem. You may find you an't add much more with it though. Actually the
nutrafin reactors are very good - if you measure the length of the steps and
then multiply by the number of steps you'll find that thge bubble is
travelling a very long away releative to the size of the thing.

Other option for CO2 is to inject it into the input of a cannister filter.
This probably works best of all.

I.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:55 AM

I live in the southeast U.S.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Richard Sexton

In article , Richard Sexton wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I forgot to ask if someone could recommend a good place for plants on
the internet. Thanks

http://aquaria.net/plants/sources/us/

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org