Old 05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Aaron M

Default Help Identifying Insect

While cleaning my tank today I came across what I would assume to be
some sort of insect larvae which must have came in when I got some new
plants a few weeks ago.

It was about 3/4 of an inch long and looked kind of like a centipede.
It's body was translucent. It had "glued" together a few leaves around
itself. I cut the affected area off of the plants and discarded it.

Any idea of what it was?

I wouldn't have saw it if I wasn't trying to replant a plant I knocked
loose.

Thanks.

Aaron
Old 05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
2pods

"Aaron M" wrote in message
While cleaning my tank today I came across what I would assume to be some
sort of insect larvae which must have came in when I got some new plants a
few weeks ago.

It was about 3/4 of an inch long and looked kind of like a centipede. It's
body was translucent. It had "glued" together a few leaves around itself.

Caddis Fly larvae ?

Peter

Old 06-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Jeremiah

"2pods" wrote in message ...
"Aaron M" wrote in message
While cleaning my tank today I came across what I would assume to be some
sort of insect larvae which must have came in when I got some new plants a
few weeks ago.

It was about 3/4 of an inch long and looked kind of like a centipede. It's
body was translucent. It had "glued" together a few leaves around itself.

Caddis Fly larvae ?

Peter

Cuting off the infected area thats no fun!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:42 AM
Richard Sexton

Try keeping fishless tanks with just, say, shrimp and plants. You
get all sorts of crasy stuff:

http://images.aquaria.net/invertebra...ods/damselfly/

I have copepods and yes I have some sort og fly, or rather gnat larva
in massive abundance. They look and act ilke small bloodworms except
they aren't red. They hatch out as tiny flies, don't go more than
a few inches from the tank and seem to breed as I just get more all
the time.

They're a little hard to photograph, but here's what I got:

http://images.aquaria.net/invertebra...thropods/gnat/

If you look carefully at the Anubias leaf in the background you should
be able to see the little tubular "houses" they build for themseleves.

I'm going to throw in a fish or two to eat the little buggers.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Old 06-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
Try keeping fishless tanks with just, say, shrimp and plants. You
get all sorts of crasy stuff:

I got a colony of springtails once in a planted tank with fish, shrimp
and all. They hung out for three or four months until I went away for a
few days. The fish worked for their meals for a change and the
springtails were gone!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-03-2005, 05:43 PM

I have a live planted tank, and of course some critteres decided to
hitch a ride. I have snails, which don't bother me too terribly much. A
worm that looks like a small earthworm, except it is like a
redish-brown color is some spots, but it is also some-what translucent.
and clear "sacs" with a whole slew of little white dots. I thought
these "sacs" were snail eggs, but then when I was looking at one of the
worms today,I could see a large cluster of white dots inside the worm,
half-way between the head and middle of the worm's body.

The snails i am not worried about, but what about the worms? Are they
harmful? What are the "sacs", and are they harmful? How can I possibly
get rid of the worms, snails, and "sacs"? I tried using a Skunk Botia,
but h seems content on leaving the snails alone, and eating what ever
food gets left on the bottom. I would love to try a Clown loach or two,
but the tank is only a ten gallon. Does anyone ave any suggestions or
answers to any my previous questions? Thanks for reading!

Evan Davis

Old 07-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Elaine T

[...]

Supposedly crushing a couple of snails against the glass will get the
botia more insterested in them. Also, try to feed lightly for a day or
two so not much food hits the bottom of the tank. The botia will go
after the snails more if he's a bit hungrier.

I don't know about the worms but I'm a bit surprised nothing has eaten them.

--
__ Elaine T __
__'

Help identifying insect Robert North Carolina 5 11-07-2004 06:08 PM
Need Help Identifying Plant Help Please CAZ Gardening 2 08-07-2004 12:03 AM
Help identifying insect Robert North Carolina 4 21-04-2004 05:05 PM
Help id an insect Vanis Texas 2 27-05-2003 03:44 AM
[IBC] Insect attack (was: [IBC] Need help with problem) Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 16-05-2003 07:44 PM