Old 21-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Elaine T

Default Pearling with Excel

I thought I'd never see anything pearl in my plant tanks since I'm using
Flourish Excel rather than CO2. This morning, the sun was shining on
the guppy tank, and the Baby's tears and Rotala indica were both
pearling in the sunlight. What a beautiful sight!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 21-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Nikki Casali

Elaine T wrote:

I thought I'd never see anything pearl in my plant tanks since I'm using
Flourish Excel rather than CO2. This morning, the sun was shining on
the guppy tank, and the Baby's tears and Rotala indica were both
pearling in the sunlight. What a beautiful sight!

I used to get pearling from my swords when the sun shone through the
blinds. That was before I fertilised or even touched CO2. Sun definitely
has the oomph.

Nikki

Old 21-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Elaine T

Nikki Casali wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

I thought I'd never see anything pearl in my plant tanks since I'm
using Flourish Excel rather than CO2. This morning, the sun was
shining on the guppy tank, and the Baby's tears and Rotala indica were
both pearling in the sunlight. What a beautiful sight!

I used to get pearling from my swords when the sun shone through the
blinds. That was before I fertilised or even touched CO2. Sun definitely
has the oomph.

Nikki

Funny - it's just the right WPG and wavelength. ;-) I don't think I've
ever seen a swordplant pearl. That must have been magnificent.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 21-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Nikki Casali

Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

I thought I'd never see anything pearl in my plant tanks since I'm
using Flourish Excel rather than CO2. This morning, the sun was
shining on the guppy tank, and the Baby's tears and Rotala indica
were both pearling in the sunlight. What a beautiful sight!

I used to get pearling from my swords when the sun shone through the
blinds. That was before I fertilised or even touched CO2. Sun
definitely has the oomph.

Nikki

Funny - it's just the right WPG and wavelength. ;-)

It'd nice to harvest it through some fibreoptic contraption brought
through the roof. I don't think it would have the same heat problems
associated with direct sunlight at the window ledge.

I don't think I've
ever seen a swordplant pearl. That must have been magnificent.

Not really, just a single stream of bubbles, but it was the first time
I'd ever seen a plant do that and didn't even know what it meant.
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/ECHINODORUS-leak.jpg

Nikki

Old 22-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Elaine T

Nikki Casali wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

[...]

Wow! Nice shot of it. Must have been a tiny bit of damage on the leaf.
My baby's tears pearl from where I clipped some off when I wanted
cuttings for another tank. The rotala collects bubbles under the leaves.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 22-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Cichlidiot

Nikki Casali wrote:
It'd nice to harvest it through some fibreoptic contraption brought
through the roof. I don't think it would have the same heat problems
associated with direct sunlight at the window ledge.

Well, there is at least one such system to provide indoor lighting, but I
don't know if it would be sufficient intensity for growing plants. I'm not
sure of the effeciency of the system. I've seen it most often discussed
for indoor lighting as a way of energy conservation.
Old 22-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Nikki Casali

Cichlidiot wrote:
Nikki Casali wrote:

It'd nice to harvest it through some fibreoptic contraption brought
through the roof. I don't think it would have the same heat problems
associated with direct sunlight at the window ledge.

Well, there is at least one such system to provide indoor lighting, but I
don't know if it would be sufficient intensity for growing plants. I'm not
sure of the effeciency of the system. I've seen it most often discussed
for indoor lighting as a way of energy conservation.

I'll like to see this done with an aquarium in a high-tech home just for
proof of concept. I have heard of houseplants being grown in this
environment. I can just imagine how expensive the system would be to set up.

http://www.parans.com/products.htm

Nikki

Old 22-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Nikki Casali

Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

[...]

True, my male angelfish was pecking at the leaf just seconds before. You
can just make out all the little points of damage. Actually you can see
a ghostly refection of the angelfish on the left of the image.

My baby's tears pearl from where I clipped some off when I wanted
cuttings for another tank. The rotala collects bubbles under the leaves.

Is this your tank by the side of the window?

Nikki

Old 22-05-2005, 04:36 PM
sophiefishstuff

In message , Elaine T
writes
I thought I'd never see anything pearl in my plant tanks since I'm
using Flourish Excel rather than CO2. This morning, the sun was
shining on the guppy tank, and the Baby's tears and Rotala indica were
both pearling in the sunlight. What a beautiful sight!

my brain has turned to mush and I can't remember the name of the plant
(I know it perfectly well, I just can't remember it) - coldwater. whorls
of small leaves growing all the way up the stem. gah. anyway, it pearls
in sunlight with or without excel (and I don't use CO2)...

--
sophie

www.freewebs.com/fishstuff
(under construction. ish.)
Old 22-05-2005, 08:05 PM
sophiefishstuff

In message , sophiefishstuff
writes
In message , Elaine T
writes
I thought I'd never see anything pearl in my plant tanks since I'm
using Flourish Excel rather than CO2. This morning, the sun was
shining on the guppy tank, and the Baby's tears and Rotala indica were
both pearling in the sunlight. What a beautiful sight!

my brain has turned to mush and I can't remember the name of the plant
(I know it perfectly well, I just can't remember it) - coldwater.
whorls of small leaves growing all the way up the stem. gah. anyway, it
pearls in sunlight with or without excel (and I don't use CO2)...

brain retrieved.
it's anacharis. I think.
spending an hour or so up to the elbow in fishtanks concentrates the
mind.

--
sophie

www.freewebs.com/fishstuff
(under construction. ish.)

Old 22-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Elaine T

Nikki Casali wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

[...]

Yes. It's my 10 gallon guppy tank. It runs mostly on natural indirect
sunlight with a strip light so I can see the fish at night. The plants
lean towards the window, but they grow great. There's something oddly
satisfying about having a naturally lit tank so I put up with the
lopsided plant growth.

This tank makes me laugh whenever anyone posts that sunlight causes
algae. I've got huge, lush rafts of floating water sprite growing on
the surface and there's no way algae can compete.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 22-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Bill

Nikki Casali Spaketh Thusly:

It'd nice to harvest it through some fibreoptic contraption brought
through the roof. I don't think it would have the same heat problems
associated with direct sunlight at the window ledge.

Velux makes a "Sun Tunnel" that does that without fiberoptics. It's on their
USA web site, but I didn't see it on their UK site.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net