Old 03-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Troy Bruder

Default new growth "yellowish"

My recently re-planted 30 gallon tank seems to be doing fairly well.. I
have a fluorite substrate, dose 3x per week with Tropica Master Grow (5ml
each time), inject CO2, and perform 40% water changes every 7th day... The
plant growth seems to be fine, most of the plants are doing just fine.. The
one concern I have is that my plants look a bit "yellow/pale"......instead
of a nice "lush green"..

I assume what's low in my tank is Iron (it's always been unmeasurable no
matter what test kit I use)... I'm afraid to increase the dosage of TMG
simply to increase iron.......maybe I shouldn't be??

Any recommendations for me??

Troy

Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Elaine T

Troy Bruder wrote:
My recently re-planted 30 gallon tank seems to be doing fairly well.. I
have a fluorite substrate, dose 3x per week with Tropica Master Grow (5ml
each time), inject CO2, and perform 40% water changes every 7th day... The
plant growth seems to be fine, most of the plants are doing just fine.. The
one concern I have is that my plants look a bit "yellow/pale"......instead
of a nice "lush green"..

I assume what's low in my tank is Iron (it's always been unmeasurable no
matter what test kit I use)... I'm afraid to increase the dosage of TMG
simply to increase iron.......maybe I shouldn't be??

Any recommendations for me??

Troy

According to Marine Depot, the TMG bottle says to use more if the
youngest leaves on the plant look too light of a shade of green. I
wouldn't be afraid to add more - usually you dose a balanced trace
element and potash fertilizer by the iron reading in the water.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 04-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Shagster

I was more afraid that TMG doesn't contain enough Iron...and adding more of
it would simply cause an imbalance... Maybe I'll "up" my dose of TMG
slightly, and add Iron until I can start to detect it in the water with my
test kit.

Thanks,
Troy

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. com...

Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Elaine T

Shagster wrote:
I was more afraid that TMG doesn't contain enough Iron...and adding more of
it would simply cause an imbalance... Maybe I'll "up" my dose of TMG
slightly, and add Iron until I can start to detect it in the water with my
test kit.

Thanks,
Troy

Hmm. I'd be very surprised if TMG didn't contain enough iron when dosed
high enough. Tropica is a really good company. If you up the TMG
rather than adding just iron, you also add manganese and magnesium.
Lack of those can cause chlorosis too because the plant can't use what
iron is available.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 05-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Shagster

Thanks Elaine.. What would you recommend/guestimate as a dosage?? I'm
doing 5ml 3x per week... Should I double it to 10ml 3x per week??

Troy

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. com...

Old 05-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Elaine T

Shagster wrote:
Thanks Elaine.. What would you recommend/guestimate as a dosage?? I'm
doing 5ml 3x per week... Should I double it to 10ml 3x per week??

Or 5 ml/day. Whatever works. Then test iron and see if it's better.

Troy

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. com...