Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Pisces

Default high wattage fluorescent bulb

I have 2x 48" 40w fluorescent bulbs in my 55gal tank I would like to get
more light without adding 2 more bulbs ( the tank is not broad enough) I
can't find anything more than 40watts. where do you get those 96 watt bulbs?
Glen

Old 13-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Daniel Morrow

"Pisces" wrote in message
I have 2x 48" 40w fluorescent bulbs in my 55gal tank I would like to get
more light without adding 2 more bulbs ( the tank is not broad enough) I
can't find anything more than 40watts. where do you get those 96 watt

bulbs?
Glen

Those 96 watt bulbs are a complete redesign of fluorescent technology I
think. I know they are not compatible with standard fluorescent ballasts
which is a bummer even to me as I am in the same boat you are except I
am possibly better off because I have low light plants. I definitely can
understand your situation - I would love to grow warm water anachris as fast
as a weed and would love to grow amazon sword plants fast too. I can't even
grow anachris at all currently and the same with hornwort which surprises me
as it does great in cold water here but I am not willing to lower the water
temperature because of the fish. Summary - I feel the same way you do but it
appears that both of us would have to buy new hardware to do this and I
don't know about you but other than the supporting hardware purchases I make
(and food, etc. too of course) I am saving my money for fixing my car so I
can actually get to the lfs and/or chain stores (talk about being addicted
to this hobby! ) so me buying new compact fluorescent technology lighting
which is expensive is on hold for now and probably for awhile. Good luck and
later!

Old 13-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Bill Stock

"Pisces" wrote in message
I have 2x 48" 40w fluorescent bulbs in my 55gal tank I would like to get
more light without adding 2 more bulbs ( the tank is not broad enough) I
can't find anything more than 40watts. where do you get those 96 watt
bulbs?
Glen

The 96 watt bulbs you want are Compact Fluorescents. It sounds like you have
T12's, the single long tubes, so you'll need a new ballast and sockets. You
didn't say whether your hood is homemade or commercial, either way you'll
need to make a conversion. I've never converted a commercial fixture, but
I've built a few of my own hoods, both T8 and Compact Fluorescent.

The best place I've found to buy the bulbs and kits is AH Supply, they are
an excellent company. The 96 watt kit is he
http://ahsupply.com/96watt.htm . They also ship to Canada.

Old 13-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Paul A. Ergh

Check out Marine Depot
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting__index.asp

As I understand it you will have to actually replace the lighting fixtures
as the ballasts you have will probably not be able to handle the higher
wattage.

Old 13-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Pisces

Thanks a lot for all the valuable info.
I will now have to figure something out.
I did build myself a new canopy and threw out the two 18' 13watt bulbs that
came with the tank. I had two of those shop light fixtures in my shed that a
friend gave me years ago.I used one, it fit perfectly. maybe if I trim the
hood getting rid of all the reflector I might be able to fit both. I am
reluctant to go above 2wpg I don't want to have to fit my fish with welding
glasses to avoid stress. I hear neons don't like a lot of light. However my
sword is looking sick.
Thanks.

Old 13-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Mark Grassman

You might look at the hardware stores for ballasts, end caps, etc. I
recently bought several electronic ballasts for 2 T12 tubes from 'Home
Depot' for a project. They also had ballasts labeled for HO. Just read the
labels (carefully) and match what the ballast is designed for with what you
want. Also they cost less than $20.00 each.

Luck