Old 17-06-2007, 04:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Voodoo Lily blooming - File 4 of 4 - voodoo lily 3.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Voodoo Lily blooming - File 4 of 4 - voodoo lily 3.JPG (1/1)-voodoo-lily-3.jpg
Old 17-06-2007, 09:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

That's WEIRD!

Mary

Old 17-06-2007, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4675985b$0$761
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

That's WEIRD!

Mary

Smells like rotting garbage, too. When the big one blooms, someone is
going to think they buried a corpse in their yard.
Old 18-06-2007, 12:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

Very nice photo, looks like you have another one coming along as well. Mine
bloomed about five days ago, it only smells for two days, thank goodness, or
my semi-detached neighbour would have complained. Personally I don't mind
the smell, it reminds me very much of Tanji, a Gambian fishing village where
they process and dry fish.

Thanks for sharing.

someone

Old 18-06-2007, 10:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

Very nice photo, looks like you have another one coming along as well.
Mine bloomed about five days ago, it only smells for two days, thank
goodness, or my semi-detached neighbour would have complained.
Personally I don't mind the smell, it reminds me very much of Tanji, a
Gambian fishing village where they process and dry fish.

Thanks for sharing.

someone

You're welcome!

Does your's look like this one? Where did you get the bulb? This lily
belongs to a friend of mine but I really do want to get one for myself.

There is another flower that's getting ready to open that's going to be
MUCH bigger than the one I photographed -- maybe twice as big. I'm going
to try and lure a couple of neighborhood kids into it.

Old 18-06-2007, 12:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4675985b$0$761
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

That's WEIRD!

Mary

Smells like rotting garbage, too. When the big one blooms, someone is
going to think they buried a corpse in their yard.

When I was in Puget Sound my friend and host showed me skunk cabbage. I
thought it must be a local plant or at least a New World one but when I got
home I found some in a park pond only a mile from where I live!

Mary

Old 18-06-2007, 02:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4675985b$0$761
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in
message ...

That's WEIRD!

Mary

Smells like rotting garbage, too. When the big one blooms, someone
is going to think they buried a corpse in their yard.

When I was in Puget Sound my friend and host showed me skunk cabbage.
I thought it must be a local plant or at least a New World one but
when I got home I found some in a park pond only a mile from where I
live!

Mary

Amazing, isn't it? Of course, if you subscribe to the Earth's "floating
plates" theory, the UK and Puget Sound were probably part of the same
neighborhood long, long ago.

BTW, the Voodoo Lily is carnivorous. I don't know if I mentioned that in
here or not.
Old 18-06-2007, 05:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

When I was in Puget Sound my friend and host showed me skunk cabbage.
I thought it must be a local plant or at least a New World one but
when I got home I found some in a park pond only a mile from where I
live!

Mary

Amazing, isn't it?

The only amazing aspect is that I used to know a lot about our native flora
but hadn't come across it before.

BTW, the Voodoo Lily is carnivorous. I don't know if I mentioned that in
here or not.

Nor do I but it doesn't surprise me.

Mary

Old 22-06-2007, 05:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
how how is offline

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
snips

BTW, the Voodoo Lily is carnivorous. I don't know if I mentioned that in
here or not.

Hi,
The common named Voodoo lilies (Amorphophallus ssp, Sauromatum ssp, and
Dracunculus ssp) do smell like rotting meat or the feces of carnivores at
times but are not carnivorous themselves.
HTH -_- how