Old 27-07-2007, 11:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Feijoa

Twenty years ago I was given a small (1 foot high) Feijoa shrub and planted
it in my U.K. garden. Now it's a small 7 foot high tree, and has never
looked very happy, being in a dry and somewhat neglected corner of the
garden. However, this year, for the first time, it has flowered! It must
be the rain that brought this on. Fortunately we live at the top of a hill
town so weren't flooded out, although our garden was/is very soggy. I must
try and take better care of this tree in the future.

someone

Attached Thumbnails
Feijoa-feijoa.jpg
Old 27-07-2007, 11:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:11:36 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

Twenty years ago I was given a small (1 foot high) Feijoa shrub and planted
it in my U.K. garden. Now it's a small 7 foot high tree, and has never
looked very happy, being in a dry and somewhat neglected corner of the
garden. However, this year, for the first time, it has flowered! It must
be the rain that brought this on. Fortunately we live at the top of a hill
town so weren't flooded out, although our garden was/is very soggy. I must
try and take better care of this tree in the future.

someone

Gorgeous flowers -

Thank you for sharing,

seph

Old 28-07-2007, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thank you seph and betsyb, I'm so pleased you enjoyed my photo. Now, if
only it produces fruit I'll be over the moon! We have August, September,
and October to come, so you never know, I might be lucky.

someone

Old 29-07-2007, 09:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message
Twenty years ago I was given a small (1 foot high) Feijoa shrub and
planted it in my U.K. garden. Now it's a small 7 foot high tree, and has
never looked very happy, being in a dry and somewhat neglected corner of
the garden. However, this year, for the first time, it has flowered! It
must be the rain that brought this on. Fortunately we live at the top of
a hill town so weren't flooded out, although our garden was/is very soggy.
I must try and take better care of this tree in the future.

someone

I've never even heard of this and don't think I've ever seen one either.
Where are you in UK?

Mary

Old 29-07-2007, 01:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:13:06 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

Thank you seph and betsyb, I'm so pleased you enjoyed my photo. Now, if
only it produces fruit I'll be over the moon! We have August, September,
and October to come, so you never know, I might be lucky.

someone

I see by info on the net that the flowers can be eaten as well -
http://www.floridata.com/ref/F/feijoa.cfm

This plant really impresses me - our place in Canada is zone 5, so no
chance of it surviving the winters here - unless I'd do the in and out
routine with huge pots, which I won't do - we're in a heavily wooded
area and have far too many creepy crawlers in the soil which I don't
care to have in the house...

Good luck... You'll keep us updated, I hope -
And, thanks again for introducing me to a new plant...

seph
Old 29-07-2007, 11:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

Thank you seph and betsyb, I'm so pleased you enjoyed my photo. Now, if
only it produces fruit I'll be over the moon! We have August, September,
and October to come, so you never know, I might be lucky.

someone

I see by info on the net that the flowers can be eaten as well -
http://www.floridata.com/ref/F/feijoa.cfm

This plant really impresses me - our place in Canada is zone 5, so no
chance of it surviving the winters here - unless I'd do the in and out
routine with huge pots, which I won't do - we're in a heavily wooded
area and have far too many creepy crawlers in the soil which I don't
care to have in the house...

Good luck... You'll keep us updated, I hope -
And, thanks again for introducing me to a new plant...

seph

Thanks a million for that URL, I didn't know the flowers were edible. We're
big salad eaters here, so I'll give it a try, there are several more flowers
to come.

It seems that Feijoa can survive at Zone 8a (10F), good grief, you live in
Zone 5? That's, um, -20F? The Yukon?

someone

Old 29-07-2007, 11:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"someone" wrote in message
Twenty years ago I was given a small (1 foot high) Feijoa shrub and
planted it in my U.K. garden. Now it's a small 7 foot high tree, and
has never looked very happy, being in a dry and somewhat neglected corner
of the garden. However, this year, for the first time, it has flowered!
It must be the rain that brought this on. Fortunately we live at the top
of a hill town so weren't flooded out, although our garden was/is very
soggy. I must try and take better care of this tree in the future.

someone

I've never even heard of this and don't think I've ever seen one either.
Where are you in UK?

Mary

Hi Mary, we're in north Wilts. I heard about this fruit tree from a friend
who visited N.Z. but now I discover it's from Argentina/Chile anyway. It
does get pretty cold there, and they do have frosts. I have a couple of
other Argentinian fruit trees (grown from seed) and I'm hoping they'll
flower and even fruit eventually.

someone

Old 30-07-2007, 03:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:24:14 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Nope - not the Yukon.. that would be kind of neat though..
We're about 2 hrs north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in the middle of
nowhere... Winter does get pretty rough - but, nothing like the
Yukon... Yes - we get to -20F rather frequently...

seph...
Old 30-07-2007, 10:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

I've never even heard of this and don't think I've ever seen one either.
Where are you in UK?

Mary

Hi Mary, we're in north Wilts. I heard about this fruit tree from a
friend who visited N.Z. but now I discover it's from Argentina/Chile
anyway. It does get pretty cold there, and they do have frosts. I have a
couple of other Argentinian fruit trees (grown from seed) and I'm hoping
they'll flower and even fruit eventually.

someone

Hmm, Wilts, even the north, is a bit different from Yorkshire ... a son is
in Chippenham and it always seems much warmer there when we visit than when
we left home.

Not that I mind the cold - hardened to it - but it might not be ideal for
that bush. Wouldn't know where to find one anyway :-)

Thanks,

Mary

Old 30-07-2007, 12:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:26:11 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"someone" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

There are a few auctions on eBay for just seeds - I know many
countries won't allow soil from another country to enter, but seeds
are usually allowed -
http://cgi.ebay.com/PINEAPPLE-GUAVA-...QQcmdZViewItem

seph...