Old 09-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Pam Moore

Default feijoa sellowiana; cont

I've just read through the thread on Feijoa Sellowiana.
I grew some from seed about 3 or 4 years ago after Bob
Flowerdew recommended it on GQT.
He gave it the alternative name of "cruel plant" saying that the
flowers trap insects overnight and release them next morning in order
to ensure pollination.
I have only once seen it growing, with one fruit, in a Yellow Book
garden in Clevedon by the Bristol Channel. It was trained over a
pergola.
Mine is in a wall pot, and is just allowed to trail down, but has
never flowered. It now has about 6 trailing stems. I shall pot it
and train it up a fence this year and maybe then it might flower for
me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Oxymel of Squill

I grew five last year, they're about 3 ins tall. I was intending to grow
them over a south-ish facing fence. It looked v impressing in the seed
catalogue. but then, what doesn't?
I didn't know it tortured insects!
Jon in Wisbech

Old 09-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
I've just read through the thread on Feijoa Sellowiana.
I grew some from seed about 3 or 4 years ago after Bob
Flowerdew recommended it on GQT.
He gave it the alternative name of "cruel plant" saying that the
flowers trap insects overnight and release them next morning in order
to ensure pollination.

Are you sure? The flowers don't look as if they could do that.

I have only once seen it growing, with one fruit, in a Yellow Book
garden in Clevedon by the Bristol Channel. It was trained over a
pergola.
Mine is in a wall pot, and is just allowed to trail down, but has
never flowered. It now has about 6 trailing stems. I shall pot it
and train it up a fence this year and maybe then it might flower for
me.

That doesn't sound right. It is an upright tree or shrub.

I grew some from seed, and kept one. It keeps blowing over, but
otherwise makes a nice patio plant. It flowered last year, and the
flowers were sweetish, as described.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Dave Poole

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:23:16 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

That doesn't sound right. It is an upright tree or shrub.

So I wonder what I am growing which is trailing and was grown from
the seeds I got from Chiltern!!!

Somehow, someone has got the common names mixed up. The 'Cruel Plant'
is Araujia sericofera, a half hardy, evergreen (or deciduous in cold
areas) vine distantly related to Stephanotis and producing vaguely
similar, but shorter tubed, pinkish flushed, fragrant flowers in small
clusters.

It is so called because the pollen masses are rather viscid when the
flowers first open and any probing moth becomes stuck fast. In
warmer, drier climates where the plant originates, the pollen dries
out after a few hours and the moth is freed so that it can continue on
to another flower and pollinate it. In this country, the higher
humidity and lower temperatures often prevent the pollen from drying
out and the unfortunate 'prisoners' are sometimes held until they die.

I have a plant clambering over some trellis and there are times when
it is covered in fluttering moths - a somewhat gruesome sight, but
fascinating nevertheless. It is not reliably hardy inland or further
north than Bristol, but makes a handsome climber for a frost free
greenhouse or conservatory.

Feijoa (Acca) sellowiana is the 'fruit salad plant' - a shrubby
member of the myrtle family with rounded, leathery leaves and showy,
red-stamened, white flowers in the leaf axils. The resultant fruits
are sometimes known as pineapple guavas and are sweet with a very
exotic combination of flavours. The flowers are edible as well and
are also rather sweet to taste.

Feijoa grows reasonably well in sheltered sunny spots in the south,
but its early flowering means that fruit is rarely set out of doors in
the UK. If grown in a frost free greenhouse the flowers need to be
hand pollinated to ensure a reasonable crop. Feijoa makes a handsome
and easily grown shrub for a medium-sized to large container and can
be stood out of doors in summer. Although not a particular
lime-hater, it seems to grow best in an ericaceous compost.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 10-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:35:43 +0000, Dave Poole
wrote:

Somehow, someone has got the common names mixed up.

I've had a senior moment couple of days. Think I'll shut up for a
while. Sorry for the confusion.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

So I wonder what I am growing which is trailing and was grown from
the seeds I got from Chiltern!!!

Dunno. I got mine from there, if I recall. What are its leaves,
bark and growth pattern like?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I've just read through the thread on Feijoa Sellowiana.
I grew some from seed about 3 or 4 years ago after Bob
Flowerdew recommended it on GQT.
He gave it the alternative name of "cruel plant" saying that the
flowers trap insects overnight and release them next morning in order
to ensure pollination.
I have only once seen it growing, with one fruit, in a Yellow Book
garden in Clevedon by the Bristol Channel. It was trained over a
pergola.
Mine is in a wall pot, and is just allowed to trail down, but has
never flowered. It now has about 6 trailing stems. I shall pot it
and train it up a fence this year and maybe then it might flower for
me.

Pam in Bristol

Trouble with your names Pam! :~) the plant is called Araujia sericifera and
is a climber, it seldom flowers the first year from seed and should be fine
outside in your neck of the woods.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole wrote:

Feijoa grows reasonably well in sheltered sunny spots in the south,
but its early flowering means that fruit is rarely set out of doors in
the UK. If grown in a frost free greenhouse the flowers need to be
hand pollinated to ensure a reasonable crop. Feijoa makes a handsome
and easily grown shrub for a medium-sized to large container and can
be stood out of doors in summer. Although not a particular
lime-hater, it seems to grow best in an ericaceous compost.

Let's see how mine does this year and on. It is kept outside in
winter, in a not particularly sheletered spot, and seems happy. It
flowered last year, perhaps because it didn't wake up early (which
is why Holboellia fails). It is in a neutral "John Innes" compost
with quite a lot of organic material.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Somehow, someone has got the common names mixed up.

You are right Dave. Mine iscertainly Araujia. I'm blaming Bob
Flowerdew as he recommended both araujia and jeijoa and I bought seeds
of both from Chiltern. Must try the feijoa again as it would appear
the seeds failed!
The confusion is totally mine and I'll think twice before spouting off
again. Apologies to all.

Pam in Bristol

Old 10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

The confusion is totally mine and I'll think twice before spouting off
again. Apologies to all.

No need - only trolls never make mistakes :-)

I would strongly recommend having a go with Feijoa again. As I say,
I shall see whether mine survives the rough treatment and flowers
again, but so far I am very pleased with it. An EXCELLENT patio
plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Acca sellowiana (feijoa) Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 2 21-10-2008 01:37 PM
Acca sellowiana Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 13 04-08-2008 02:36 PM
Feijoa someone Garden Photos 10 30-07-2007 12:25 PM
feijoa sellowiana Klara United Kingdom 13 08-11-2004 09:50 PM