Old 20-10-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acca sellowiana (feijoa)

Have a couple of dozen fruits on it this year, and some are almost up to a
small egg in size. If the mild weather persists, I might actually get some
ripe fruit to taste.

I have only had a couple of fruits in one previous year, and they never got
to ripening size. Perhaps it's the late sun and mild weather which has
allowed this. Anyone else expecting ripe fruit this year?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 20-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
Have a couple of dozen fruits on it this year, and some are almost up to a small egg in size. If the mild weather persists, I might actually get some ripe fruit to taste.

I have only had a couple of fruits in one previous year, and they never got
to ripening size. Perhaps it's the late sun and mild weather which has
allowed this. Anyone else expecting ripe fruit this year?
They are supposedly in general not self-fertile. There are a couple of self-fertile varietes, although most of what is grown in this country is seed-grown rather than a specific variety. Do you have just one plant, or is there another plant in the area that might be cross-pollinating for you?
Old 21-10-2008, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;819544']Have a couple of dozen fruits on it this year, and some are
almost up to a small egg in size. If the mild weather persists, I
might actually get some ripe fruit to taste.

I have only had a couple of fruits in one previous year, and they
never got
to ripening size. Perhaps it's the late sun and mild weather which
has

allowed this. Anyone else expecting ripe fruit this year?

They are supposedly in general not self-fertile. There are a couple of
self-fertile varietes, although most of what is grown in this country
is seed-grown rather than a specific variety. Do you have just one
plant, or is there another plant in the area that might be
cross-pollinating for you?

I don't know of any other plant in the area. The RHS Dictionary of Gardening
notes that there is incompatibility between some cultivars, so I can only
guess that mine is self-fertile.

The label simply says "Feijoa sellowiana (Pineapple Guava)". I've had it
about 8 years. It was about 80 cm high when I planted it; it's now about 250
cm.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Acca sellowiana Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 13 04-08-2008 02:36 PM
Feijoa someone Garden Photos 10 30-07-2007 12:25 PM
feijoa sellowiana; cont Pam Moore United Kingdom 10 10-01-2005 06:40 PM
feijoa sellowiana Klara United Kingdom 13 08-11-2004 09:50 PM