Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Exclamation Unknown Plant vers 2

Help - why won't my photo upload? - NEW USER BTW
---------

I have a plant in my garden that has caused a neighbours 9 year old child (and her cousin) to have an allergic reaction in the form of a reddish rash (not itchy, but hot) forming eventually with small watery blisters on face and hands after several hours.

I have attached a pic of this plant with this thread. It started growing out of the blue so must have been wind borne. There are now about 4 of these plants. They have grown rapidly and I left them to see if they would flower - and they haven't. They've grown to about 5 ft tall in 3 months or so. The stems/branches have a strange fluorescent violet colour about them.
As the branches grow, they split into 3, form yellowish green leaves and eventually form little buds (but no flowers). The buds have 3 green segments which have white seeds inside and a white milky sap (like latex). The chidren were picking these buds and popping them in between their fingers.

Could anybody throw any light on whether or not this is a plant that is dangerous/toxic and coming into contact with would need medical attention.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Stephen Murray wrote:
[...]

Without the picture it's difficult to say. When the child got the rash,
had it been bright and sunny ? The milky sap sounds like a spurge or one
of the umbellifers, but the flourescent stems has got me! It's not easy
to say what's good and bad, for example I have a nasty reaction to
spurges and umbellifers (cow parsley here in the UK for example), but
only when it is a bright day (the poison is a photoreactant) I remember
a plant similar to your description, it had blue/purple bell shaped
flowers that hung down .. unfortunately I never identified it, as it
wasn't in my garden.

Like everyone I'm eager to see the photo.

Hope that helps

Dominic

[IMG] code is On

unknown plant - shrub Dr. Stefan Burkart Plant Science 2 17-05-2005 08:18 PM
Unknown plant ABC United Kingdom 1 23-05-2004 08:24 AM
Unknown plant si_mats United Kingdom 7 26-01-2004 11:20 PM
Help identify unknown plant material Ronald Plant Biology 2 10-09-2003 09:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM