Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default tomatoes!!

Just went out to the small (6'x8')tomato patch and pulled off half a
dozen rotten ones - big storm the other day and they split. The fruits
are finally starting to ripen up and I got a couple baskets full. The
three largest at the back of the photo are each several pounds I think;
that is a 6" ruler.

I'll be taking some to work tonight for friends and saving a few for
sandwiches. Made salsa last weekend with my tomatoes and home-grown
bell, banana, and jalapeno peppers. Next up: tomato sauce!

Attached Thumbnails
tomatoes!!-tomatoes.jpg
Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"tenman" wrote
Just went out to the small (6'x8')tomato patch and pulled off half a
dozen rotten ones - big storm the other day and they split. The fruits
are finally starting to ripen up and I got a couple baskets full. The
three largest at the back of the photo are each several pounds I think;
that is a 6" ruler.

I'll be taking some to work tonight for friends and saving a few for
sandwiches. Made salsa last weekend with my tomatoes and home-grown
bell, banana, and jalapeno peppers. Next up: tomato sauce!

Lucky you, all our Tomato plants got Late Blight early this year so no
Tomatoes at all.
Potatoes have it too this year because it's been such a wet summer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"tenman" wrote in message
Just went out to the small (6'x8')tomato patch and pulled off half a
dozen rotten ones - big storm the other day and they split. The fruits
are finally starting to ripen up and I got a couple baskets full. The
three largest at the back of the photo are each several pounds I think;
that is a 6" ruler.

I'll be taking some to work tonight for friends and saving a few for
sandwiches. Made salsa last weekend with my tomatoes and home-grown
bell, banana, and jalapeno peppers. Next up: tomato sauce!

I'm green with envy! It's a rare year here in UK when we have any outdoor
tomatoes worth talking about, although the ones in the greenhouse are better
than nothing, if not many of them. Our potatoes aren't doing too bad, but
some are very small because of the wet early summer. The Nicola variety has
produced a reasonable crop on the allotment. The early sweetcorn was a
washout, but we sure have had a bumper crop of peas, for a couple of months
now, and all the leafy veg like chard, endive, and cavolo nero are doing
well.

someone

Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
tenman wrote:

Just went out to the small (6'x8')tomato patch and pulled off half a
dozen rotten ones - big storm the other day and they split. The fruits
are finally starting to ripen up and I got a couple baskets full. The
three largest at the back of the photo are each several pounds I think;
that is a 6" ruler.

I'll be taking some to work tonight for friends and saving a few for
sandwiches. Made salsa last weekend with my tomatoes and home-grown
bell, banana, and jalapeno peppers. Next up: tomato sauce!
[Image]

Too gorgeous.
I'm envious! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Beautiful maters, absolutely beautiful.

Here are mine, I pick this much daily. I no longer know what to do with
them, we've gone the salsa route, the salads, the giving away to practically
everyone and anyone... we're drowning in tomatoes. Next year, we're cutting
it down to 20 plants.

-M

Attached Thumbnails
tomatoes!!-garden-001.jpg

Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:32:35 GMT, "Jane Doe"
wrote:

Beautiful maters, absolutely beautiful.

Here are mine, I pick this much daily. I no longer know what to do with
them, we've gone the salsa route, the salads, the giving away to practically
everyone and anyone... we're drowning in tomatoes. Next year, we're cutting
it down to 20 plants.

-M

I love maters, wish I lived within a few blocks of you.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Beautiful maters, absolutely beautiful.

Here are mine, I pick this much daily. I no longer know what to do with
them, we've gone the salsa route, the salads, the giving away to
practically everyone and anyone... we're drowning in tomatoes. Next year,
we're cutting it down to 20 plants.

I'm crying with envy :-( but so pleased you're having such a successful
summer :-).

someone

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote after
"tenman" wrote
[...]

We normally get an excellent crop of outdoor toms such that we won our local
show with a plate of "Roma" one year against all the greenhouse growers.
This year the blight got them all to quickly but it is the first time in 12
years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

I'm green with envy! It's a rare year here in UK when we have any outdoor
tomatoes worth talking about,

Our outdoor ones (inner city Leeds, Yorkshire) are usually as abundant and
tastier than the greenhouse ones. This year they're scraggy little things,
as are those of a neighbour. My greenhouse ones aren't as abundant as usual
and none was ripe until we got home from Scotland on Thursday. I was
watering them at midnight because, it seems, there's been no rain and my
soaker hose was dry, the butt empty. They're recovering now so I'm
reasonably happy. Cucumbers in the greenhouse haven't done well, few, small
and with tough skins.

My greatest relief is that there's no blight in toms or potatoes, I've never
had it but I'm not being smug or over-confident, just grateful. To date.

Our potatoes aren't doing too bad, but some are very small because of the
wet early summer.

Same here.

The Nicola variety has produced a reasonable crop on the allotment.

I haven't lifted the outdoor ones yet, I suppose I'll have to do it soon.
What a busy time of year this is, this morning I've cut out all the old
raspberry canes, they haven't produced as much fruit as last year either.

The early sweetcorn was a washout, but we sure have had a bumper crop of
peas, for a couple of months now,

Never tried sweetcorn and I can't grow good peas :-(

and all the leafy veg like chard, endive, and cavolo nero are doing well.

Yes, they always do here. Pity, though, that Spouse isn't keen on them. I
love chard - for its flavour and appearance - so grow it despite his
protestations :-)

The runners weren't picked for the week we were away (a son promised he
would, as well as water the greenhouse grrrr) so we had a huge meal of them
last night and there will be the same tonight. In a way I'm not sorry to
find over-large and swollen ones, I pick out the beans and discard the
shells. The beans are very tasty.

No idea when I can lift salsify because it's never grown well before but I'm
looking forward to it :-)

And next year I'll be able to harvest asparagus, dv :-)

Mary