Old 03-10-2007, 12:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default A Sparrow Hawk in my garden

Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"davenport" wrote in message

That's a great shot!

My first experience of one was when I saw a little bird on a log outside our
kitchen window, plucking a blue tit. I'd no idea what it was so rushed for
my camera and the Collins Field Guide in that order. My picture was blurred
and not at all clear but the picture in the book was and I was very excited
that I'd seen one.

Another time our bantams were spooked by something, only Spouse saw it and
we assumed that was a sparrowhawk too, then there was the occasion when we
found a lot of sparrow feathers ...

Thanks.

Mary

Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

My camera was to hand just at the right time, I did not dare to approach the
window, just in case I spooked him.
I hope you have some better luck in getting a picture of your hawk.
Best wishes, David
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"davenport" wrote:

begin 666 Image1.bmp
[Image]

end

Almost looks like some kind of Falcon?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 03-10-2007, 04:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote after

"davenport" posted

That's a great shot!

My first experience of one was when I saw a little bird on a log outside
our kitchen window, plucking a blue tit. I'd no idea what it was so rushed
for my camera and the Collins Field Guide in that order. My picture was
blurred and not at all clear but the picture in the book was and I was
very excited that I'd seen one.

Another time our bantams were spooked by something, only Spouse saw it and
we assumed that was a sparrowhawk too, then there was the occasion when we
found a lot of sparrow feathers ...

A few years ago I had something hit a pigeon right above me whilst I was
digging the allotment, heard a loud thump and then thought it was snowing
but it was feathers. Either a Peregrine Falcon or maybe a Goshawk as one had
been seen around.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"davenport" wrote in message
My camera was to hand just at the right time, I did not dare to approach
the window, just in case I spooked him.
I hope you have some better luck in getting a picture of your hawk.

My camera was upstairs - and the window was grubby. No, dirty!

We haven't seen the hawk for about three years. They're not common in the
inner city!

Mary

Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"davenport" wrote:

begin 666 Image1.bmp

Definitely a predatory look about him or her.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Dave Moorman" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"davenport" wrote:

begin 666 Image1.bmp

Definitely a predatory look about him or her.

That's why it's called a sparrowHAWK - they ARE birds of prey, feeding on
smaller birds.

Mary

Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"davenport" wrote:

begin 666 Image1.bmp

Definitely a predatory look about him or her.

That's why it's called a sparrowHAWK - they ARE birds of prey, feeding on
smaller birds.

Mary

And looks it!

Most humans feed on smaller birds ...

Mary

Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:16:03 -0400, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

This one is definitely not a sparrow hawk. I'm not sure how
big a sparrow hawk grows, but this guy stands about 24+ inches
high, and has a 6"+ beak. Not quite as big as a pelican, but
he does stand a little taller and has longer skinnier legs.

Don't know that this one feeds on birds, but it does feed on
smaller animals. He's a predator as well. His name is Mister
Seven Toes. Maybe he was real hungry one day?

If you are interested in the land animals these birds feed
upon, I might be albe to find a picture of them as well.

Looks like a Crane to me.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Jim Carlock" wrote:

This one is definitely not a sparrow hawk. I'm not sure how
big a sparrow hawk grows, but this guy stands about 24+ inches
high, and has a 6"+ beak. Not quite as big as a pelican, but
he does stand a little taller and has longer skinnier legs.

Don't know that this one feeds on birds, but it does feed on
smaller animals. He's a predator as well. His name is Mister
Seven Toes. Maybe he was real hungry one day?

If you are interested in the land animals these birds feed
upon, I might be albe to find a picture of them as well.

Pretty baby. :-)

He/she a yard pet?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:43:39 -0400, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote...
: Looks like a Crane to me.

I'm not much on birds, but I think Mister Seven Toes is a great
white egret... he lost a toe somewhere. He's got four on one foot
and three on the other. A prominent toe is missing. He must have
been hungry. They don't only eat fish. I've seen them dive and
snatch up some small land reptiles. There's hundreds or perhaps
even thousands of small lizards running around outside the house
here, and if one ventures too far out in the open, one of these
egrets will go for them. I think he's an egret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Egret

I know you are correct. I took some pictures of an egret a few years
ago and posted some here. I was in Virginia, tidewater, at the time.
Not as close as yours but the same bird.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

This one is definitely not a sparrow hawk. I'm not sure how
big a sparrow hawk grows, but this guy stands about 24+ inches
high, and has a 6"+ beak. Not quite as big as a pelican, but
he does stand a little taller and has longer skinnier legs.

Don't know that this one feeds on birds, but it does feed on
smaller animals. He's a predator as well. His name is Mister
Seven Toes. Maybe he was real hungry one day?

If you are interested in the land animals these birds feed
upon, I might be albe to find a picture of them as well.

Looks like a Crane to me.

I didn't see Jim Carlock's post, was there a picture of another bird with
it?

Mary

[IMG] code is On

Hawk Moth - hawk moth.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 13-06-2007 02:00 PM
Sparrow Padraig Garden Photos 1 14-04-2007 10:50 AM
Gambel's White Crowned Sparrow Padraig Garden Photos 0 12-04-2007 01:43 AM
Paphiopedilum Dou Fang Sparrow 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 03-02-2007 04:16 AM
End of House Sparrow Survey in Leicestershire Malcolm United Kingdom 2 26-06-2004 11:54 AM