Old 27-01-2008, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default The last of the brussel sprouts

The last of the brussel sprouts (and more snow in one day then we have had
in the last 10 years. What happened to global warming?)

Attached Thumbnails
The last of the brussel sprouts-dscf2241.jpg
Old 28-01-2008, 09:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
The last of the brussel sprouts (and more snow in one day then we have had
in the last 10 years. What happened to global warming?)

Saves electricity, wouldn't have to store them in the fridge

Old 28-01-2008, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Saves electricity, wouldn't have to store them in the fridge

We picked a couple of dozen. Ate some, and the rest sat in a bowl untill we
tossed them. We still have a hundred or so on the plants outside. I planted
them late last summer, and they have been sitting, dormant, all winter long,
providing us with b.sprouts when ever we feel like braving the elements to
pick them

Old 29-01-2008, 01:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

Saves electricity, wouldn't have to store them in the fridge

We picked a couple of dozen. Ate some, and the rest sat in a bowl untill
we tossed them. We still have a hundred or so on the plants outside. I
planted them late last summer, and they have been sitting, dormant, all
winter long, providing us with b.sprouts when ever we feel like braving
the elements to pick them

Sorry, but I would rather have my warm weather and forgo on the frozen
Brussels sprouts

Old 29-01-2008, 09:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

Saves electricity, wouldn't have to store them in the fridge

We picked a couple of dozen. Ate some, and the rest sat in a bowl untill
we tossed them. We still have a hundred or so on the plants outside. I
planted them late last summer, and they have been sitting, dormant, all
winter long, providing us with b.sprouts when ever we feel like braving
the elements to pick them

I grow Brussels and find that they keep extremely well outdoors on the
stalk - which can be cut off at the roots. I do cut the tops to have as a
different vegetable.

Mary

Old 29-01-2008, 03:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

We picked a couple of dozen. Ate some, and the rest sat in a bowl untill
we tossed them. We still have a hundred or so on the plants outside. I
planted them late last summer, and they have been sitting, dormant, all
winter long, providing us with b.sprouts when ever we feel like braving
the elements to pick them

I grow Brussels and find that they keep extremely well outdoors on the
stalk - which can be cut off at the roots. I do cut the tops to have as a
different vegetable.

Mary

Do you actually eat the top? One of my plants formed a ball about 2 inches
across when we pulled the plant. This is the first time I've grown Brussels,
and didn't really know what to expect. I'm guessing it would have blossomed
into a flower in the spring.

Old 29-01-2008, 04:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

We picked a couple of dozen. Ate some, and the rest sat in a bowl untill
we tossed them. We still have a hundred or so on the plants outside. I
planted them late last summer, and they have been sitting, dormant, all
winter long, providing us with b.sprouts when ever we feel like braving
the elements to pick them

I grow Brussels and find that they keep extremely well outdoors on the
stalk - which can be cut off at the roots. I do cut the tops to have as a
different vegetable.

Mary

Do you actually eat the top? One of my plants formed a ball about 2 inches
across when we pulled the plant. This is the first time I've grown
Brussels, and didn't really know what to expect. I'm guessing it would
have blossomed into a flower in the spring.

Yes, Brussels tops are sold as a separate item in my city at least :-)

The flavour is lovely, not at all like the sprouts. I love the sprouts too
though.

I've never let one mature so don't know what it would do. I think the
sprouts themselves would flower if left to themselves - much like sprouting
broccoli. I'd eat the flower buds too.

Next time that ball forms cut it off, steam it lightly or boil it in a
minimum of water and eat it hot.

Mary

Old 29-01-2008, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

We picked a couple of dozen. Ate some, and the rest sat in a bowl untill
we tossed them. We still have a hundred or so on the plants outside. I
planted them late last summer, and they have been sitting, dormant, all
winter long, providing us with b.sprouts when ever we feel like braving
the elements to pick them

I grow Brussels and find that they keep extremely well outdoors on the
stalk - which can be cut off at the roots. I do cut the tops to have as a
different vegetable.

Mary

Do you actually eat the top? One of my plants formed a ball about 2 inches
across when we pulled the plant. This is the first time I've grown
Brussels, and didn't really know what to expect. I'm guessing it would
have blossomed into a flower in the spring.

Just found this:

"Once the preserve of street markets and allotment growers, sprout tops are
now one of the most fashionable vegetables in the foodie world, along with
other rediscovered brassicas like curly kale and purple sprouting broccoli.
You'll now find them on menus in smart restaurants all over the UK. "

From BBC recipes. I had no idea they were fashionable!

Mary

[IMG] code is On

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM