Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default The unpredictable British weather [1/1]

All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February, which is about
a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate frost and
my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:

--
Sue ]

Attached Thumbnails
The unpredictable British weather [1/1]-frogspawn04.jpg   The unpredictable British weather [1/1]-frogspawn07.jpg
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"MadCow" wrote in message

All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February,

Not in our pond :-(

which is about
a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate frost and
my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:

Ours was about 3" thick, I was pleased there was no spawn. But I would like
SOME ...

Mary
Leeds, Yorkshire

Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"MadCow" wrote:

All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February, which is about
a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate frost and
my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:

That must have a bit strange. Both for you and the Frogs!
Out back We have a Stock Tank (man made pond) that is seasonal. When the
Monsoon starts the way we can tell we've had 1/2" or more of Rain is the
Frogs come out of the Mud and Crook all night for 3 or 4 Nights, eat make
eggs and disappear for another year.

Crazy Ed

Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

MadCow wrote:
All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February, which is
about a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate
frost and my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:

What a nuisance. Will any of them survive?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:23:51 +0000, MadCow wrote:

All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February, which is about
a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate frost and
my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:

Silly Frogs. Give them a calendar.
--
This message has been brought to you by solar power. Who needs the national grid?

After Christmas vacation, an elementary school teacher was asking her students how they celebrated Christmas.
When she got to Sammy, whose father ran a local toy store, she said, "Sammy, since you're Jewish, I guess your family didn't celebrate Christmas."
Sammy replied, "Oh yes, we did. We all held hands and danced around the cash register singing, 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus.'

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"MadCow" wrote in message

All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February, which is about
a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate frost and
my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:
Sue ]

Some have commented on the weather and some have commented on the frogs so
I'll just comment on the pictures-neat!
jim

Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Registered User

Well in our little cute pond, there is no spawn yet, and the weather is seriously out of pattern, 14c one day, -4c overnight the next? In the first photo, is the spawn actually frozen?!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weather,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In message , Marutchi
writes
MadCow wrote:
All over Britain frogs started spawning on 25th February, which is
about a month earlier than they did. A week later we had a moderate
frost and my tiny pond froze half an inch thick:

What a nuisance. Will any of them survive?

I think most of them will. The spawn that froze looks wrinkled and very
strange (no pics because it's blowing a gale and poor light) but that's
just the part that's on the surface.

How's your green Rod's Outhouse frog? When will you know whether its
croaking attracted a partner?

--
Sue ]

[IMG] code is On

Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles - Habitat April 21st David Brear Plant Science 1 21-04-2004 10:09 PM
British orchids NEIL CURNOW Orchids 1 22-12-2003 02:42 PM
British Wild Orchids seahorse17 Orchids 3 10-06-2003 03:32 PM
trees photos from British Columbia, Canada Forestry Workers Employment Center alt.forestry 0 16-10-2002 03:56 PM