Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default My Backyard Garden

This is the Garden along one of my fence lines.
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
My Backyard Garden-backyard-garden-m.jpg
Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

This is the Garden along one of my fence lines.
Bob Williams
[Image]

Delightfully tidy! :-)
I'm trying to get my driveway to look like that.
For the past two years, my cannas appear to be degenerating.
I may have to pull them all and replace them soon. They are about 15
years old.

Might be improper soil treatment on my part. They THRIVED when we used
to dump litter boxes on them but since I've switched to clumping litter,
I can no longer do that.

Might just need a good dose of nitrogen.

Anyone know if cannas are heavy feeders?

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 04 May 2008 02:51:19 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

--

Have you ever tried composted cow manure on them. I once planted a
banana tree in pure compost and it shot up like so fast. I thought
Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
joevan wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 02:51:19 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

[...]

Hm. I might just try transporting a load of soil then from what used to
be my emu pen. I gave all but Pauli away. I was unable to bear parting
with her. :-) I've been using that soil in pots with good results.

Wonder how the nitrogen compares between emu and cow? I had to give them
a higher protein content in their diets.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Have you tried a little superphosphate or bonemeal for the cannas?

Old 04-05-2008, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

Have you tried a little superphosphate or bonemeal for the cannas?

Yes, I did try bonemeal.

It seemed to make things worse. :-(