Old 08-08-2003, 04:03 AM
K30a

Default Backyard Water Garden Special on HGTV

Dear Daughter is a closet HGTV addict, just like her Mom, Aunt and Grandmother.
She spotted an ad today and we looked it up online under TV Specials on the
HGTV site. www.hgtv.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
HGTV Special Presentation
Episode HBWG-S
AIR TIMES:
August 09, 2003 5:00 PM EST
Backyard Water Gardens
Host Gary Alan and guest experts show how to create and build a variety of
water features that will fit many landscapes. Whether it's a pond or a
waterfall, a patio fountain or a tabletop fountain, these dramatic and
interesting projects are affordable in time and effort.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message

Dear Daughter is a closet HGTV addict, just like her Mom, Aunt and

Grandmother.
She spotted an ad today and we looked it up online under TV Specials on

the
HGTV site. www.hgtv.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
HGTV Special Presentation
Episode HBWG-S
AIR TIMES:
August 09, 2003 5:00 PM EST
Backyard Water Gardens
Host Gary Alan and guest experts show how to create and build a variety of
water features that will fit many landscapes. Whether it's a pond or a
waterfall, a patio fountain or a tabletop fountain, these dramatic and
interesting projects are affordable in time and effort.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Added it to Tivo...thanks.

BV.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
K30a

Neil wrote Guess HGTV.ca will
show it in the fall :-

Wonder why they do that?
There are lots of excellent
Canadian produced shows on HGTV.
Must be about money. It's always
about money.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:12 PM

yeah. once again they found a bunch of idiots to film ... in the business of
selling the ponds and plants and to hell with the fish, putting pond water into the
bag, no aeration at al, no 20 gallons per gf and 100 gallons per koi. not to mention
those ponds are really expensive. the first one going to be silted up and rocks on
the bottom going to make it hell to clean. that little corner pond will be trashed
in a week when the raccoons find it. bleeeeech. Ingrid

August 09, 2003 5:00 PM EST
Backyard Water Gardens
Host Gary Alan and guest experts show how to create and build a variety of
water features that will fit many landscapes. Whether it's a pond or a
waterfall, a patio fountain or a tabletop fountain, these dramatic and
interesting projects are affordable in time and effort.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
K30a

You beat me to it, Ingrid!

I wanted them to explain WHY a filter is needed.
They kept saying 'to filter the water' I think most people would think 'it
filters dirt, dust, leaves out of the water' like a pool filter.
And the cleaning involved in the rock bottomed pond. I wondered about some of
the landscaping with mulch - is that sloping into the pond? What about the
first good rain?
Also tossing in water hyacinth - they will shade the fish (and eat the dog and
cat and move you out of your home and could be illegal in your state!)

Old 15-08-2003, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I guess I have to play devil's advocate here. The whole idea of a show like
this is to suck a newbie in, **SEE HOW EASY THIS CAN BE DONE!!**
That means more ponders, more ponders posting here needing help, more
members for pond/koi clubs, etc. etc., this afterall IS an ADDICTION and
misery loves company, oh.... I'm.... so pond-Elated today. ;o)

Personally I liked the two circle pond. The pH had to be off the chart
though since they didn't mention an acid wash or soak for that mortar. The
corner pond was cute, I just wonder if all that red brick inside with the
water would affect the water quality, pH or something? Anything that hides
the liner is a good thing, imo, if it doesn't affect the water quality.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-08-2003, 03:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I guess I have to play devil's advocate here. The whole idea of a show

like
this is to suck a newbie in, **SEE HOW EASY THIS CAN BE DONE!!**
That means more ponders, more ponders posting here needing help, more
members for pond/koi clubs, etc. etc., this afterall IS an ADDICTION and
misery loves company, oh.... I'm.... so pond-Elated today. ;o)

I guess, but I'd rather they learn slowly and carefully, otherwise instead
of new posts with great pictures, we get 'All my fish are dead, what
happened?'.

Personally I liked the two circle pond. The pH had to be off the chart
though since they didn't mention an acid wash or soak for that mortar. The
corner pond was cute, I just wonder if all that red brick inside with the
water would affect the water quality, pH or something? Anything that hides
the liner is a good thing, imo, if it doesn't affect the water quality.

I think they were all very nice looking. In fact, I may steal the idea for
the corner pond.

BV.

Old 16-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "BenignVanilla"
writes:

I guess, but I'd rather they learn slowly and carefully, otherwise instead
of new posts with great pictures, we get 'All my fish are dead, what
happened?'.

I agree with BV, our little pond club got a new member. 40 gallon pond tub
with plants, no filter 9 goldfish and 2 koi and her water won't clear. So she
dumps all the water, scrubs the tub CLEAN and puts the fish back only to do it
again in a week and can't understand what's wrong. Then to top it all off, she
put an algae eater in and wondered why it died. They knew nothing of Ph, Kh,
or water qualityor the different types of filters and what they do. Obviously
didn't do their homework first. Probably watched a show like HGTV and thought
this is simple and easy, let's do it! Oh well, they are learning now.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 16-08-2003, 06:12 AM
K30a

Karen wrote scrubs the tub CLEAN...Then to top it all off, she
put an algae eater in and wondered why it died.

Oh my gawd, you'd have to laugh or you'd cry!

http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html