Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default wildflower ID please

These flowers are growing in the water along the bank of the Flint River in
central Georgia and are in bloom now. They are growing in clumps. The plants
average about 24" in height. The foliage is visible in the photo. The
flowers attract bees, butterflies, skippers, etc. Does anyone know what this
flower is? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
wildflower ID please-flower_100-0531.jpg
Old 04-06-2008, 02:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bubba wrote:
These flowers are growing in the water along the bank of the Flint River in
central Georgia and are in bloom now. They are growing in clumps. The plants
average about 24" in height. The foliage is visible in the photo. The
flowers attract bees, butterflies, skippers, etc. Does anyone know what this
flower is? Thanks.

My, that's a pretty little thing!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

All the bugs thought it was pretty too!

"tenman" wrote in message
news:quWdnYfmaef9bdjVnZ2dnUVZ_uadnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

You're really nice, Pam. :-) I meant to post a few shots on ABPO recently
but somehow never got to it. I'll ty harder.
Bubba

"Basketweaver" wrote in message
Bubba, I can't help with your question, but I wanted to say I miss you
on ABPO. Please hurry back. Pam

. ..

Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I did a lot of research on the web. (What did we do before the internet?) I
found out that my mystery flower is an american water willow (Justicia
americana). It's nice to see a native species growing along a stream. Thanks
to all who looked.

. ..

Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bubba" wrote in message
These flowers are growing in the water along the bank of the Flint River
in central Georgia and are in bloom now. They are growing in clumps. The
plants average about 24" in height. The foliage is visible in the photo.
The flowers attract bees, butterflies, skippers, etc. Does anyone know
what this flower is? Thanks.

Thank you for the photo and the name. I have saved it with the proper
name. It looks as if the flower has not finished blooming. Do you
have other shots of these?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bubba" wrote in message
m...
I did a lot of research on the web. (What did we do before the internet?)

We used books - and experience.

MaryI

Old 04-06-2008, 02:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 02:44:50 GMT, "Bubba" wrote:

I did a lot of research on the web. (What did we do before the internet?)
found out that my mystery flower is an american water willow (Justicia
americana). It's nice to see a native species growing along a stream.
Thanks
to all who looked.

"Bubba" wrote in message
m...
These flowers are growing in the water along the bank of the Flint River
in central Georgia and are in bloom now. They are growing in clumps. The
plants average about 24" in height. The foliage is visible in the photo.
The flowers attract bees, butterflies, skippers, etc. Does anyone know
what this flower is? Thanks.

Thank you for the photo and the name. I have saved it with the proper
name. It looks as if the flower has not finished blooming. Do you
have other shots of these?

I have a few other shots but they are pretty much the same view. I'm
planning on going back to this spot in a couple of weeks. If they are still
blooming, I'll try to get some more.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Bubba" wrote in message
m...
I did a lot of research on the web. (What did we do before the internet?)

We used books - and experience.

MaryI

Yes, but.

I opened my garden to the public this weekend and had over 200 people come
round, and I think they enjoyed it, especiallly my two ponds and frogs.

Several people enquired about one particular plant I had, and I confidently
said that it was a Lysimachia. But then I had doubts.
So I went and looked in my many books (but you can't do that quickly) and
didn't find it.

So I Googled: sage-like leaves, whorls of flowers, and disovered that it
was Phlomis russeliana, which I grew from seed when I belonged to the Seed
Guild (bless their hearts).

My books are very good but Google is my faster friend.

someone