Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Tree identification?

My neighbor has this tree...three of them, next her Leylands which border
our property. Can someone tell me what it is?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Marilyn" wrote ...
My neighbor has this tree...three of them, next her Leylands which border
our property. Can someone tell me what it is?

Catalpa bignonoides, the Indian Bean Tree.
My wife's favourite tree. They do get very big if allowed the space and
time.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thanks. I honestly don't like it and it is the focal point in my backyard.
( sigh ) It was also planted close to close to the fence. A landscaper who
came to help me plan, said it really is a "weed" but never told me the name,
so now I can look it up. My neighbor doesn't like it either but it was
planted by her MIL when they moved in 10 yrs ago....and each year, it gets
bigger and bigger....yikes! So I put a row of White Crape Mrytles in front
and two shrubs....which I was told were red twig dogwood but not sure...I am
not a gardener but hope I can improve this part of the garden.
Thanks again

"Marilyn" wrote ...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Marilyn" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Catalpa bignonoides, the Indian Bean Tree.
My wife's favourite tree. They do get very big if allowed the space and
time.

Thanks. I honestly don't like it and it is the focal point in my
backyard. ( sigh ) It was also planted close to close to the fence. A
landscaper who came to help me plan, said it really is a "weed" but never
told me the name, so now I can look it up. My neighbour doesn't like it
either but it was planted by her MIL when they moved in 10 yrs ago....and
each year, it gets bigger and bigger....yikes! So I put a row of White
Crape Myrtles in front and two shrubs....which I was told were red twig
dogwood but not sure...I am not a gardener but hope I can improve this
part of the garden.

Given enough room and planted as a specimen tree in a lawn they are
beautiful trees, especially when they get large. However in your situation I
would take them out and replace with something more suitable for the
position.
If you and your neighbour don't want to do that they can be pollarded each
year when they will not produce their beautiful flowers but will produce a
smaller tight round head of very large leaves.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:42:58 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Marilyn" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Some pollarded trees here.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ardedtrees.JPG

Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Marilyn" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

And whatever trees or shrubs you plant, keep in mind that they get
bigger ... and bigger ... and bigger ...

Start pruning/shaping when they are about 6 ft tall, and you can keep
them the size you want. Wait until they are 15ft or taller, and it's a
professional job.

And don't ask me how I know. ;-)

--
wolf k.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote
after"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Marilyn" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Not looking their best though.
Looking at the growth/shape I wonder if they are pollarded every year as a
friends in S. France looks a much better shape than that after a seasons
growth.
Personally I prefer them let to grow, there is one close by in my old
Doctors garden that is as big as a large oak.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Oh no, they are well over 15 feet now and over my fence....perhaps she will
read this and cut them down?
Or maybe I should chill out and they will be beautiful....they are in the
way back of the yard....and not worth alot of drama as I do have so much
else going on in the yard to look at and improve..

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
m...
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Marilyn" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Catalpa bignonoides, the Indian Bean Tree.
My wife's favourite tree. They do get very big if allowed the space and
time.

Thanks. I honestly don't like it and it is the focal point in my
backyard. ( sigh ) It was also planted close to close to the fence. A
landscaper who came to help me plan, said it really is a "weed" but
never told me the name, so now I can look it up. My neighbour doesn't
like it either but it was planted by her MIL when they moved in 10 yrs
ago....and each year, it gets bigger and bigger....yikes! So I put a
row of White Crape Myrtles in front and two shrubs....which I was told
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM