Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Not much to show here

We've had snow for three days, it's cold and miserable. The snow isn't deep
but is causing delays on our local hills and the Pennines are impassable on
some roads. Round here cars are being abandoned, two double decker buses
broke down, all causing tailbacks, and drivers not used to snow are
struggling to control their cars. It would be funny if it weren't dangerous.

This was the view of part of our garden from the bathroom window this
morning It's not a good pic because I had to use manual and I'm not
proficient at that yet but at least it keeps the ng going :-)

Mary

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1027 s.jpg (219.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Apologies for the size of the pic, I wasn't thinking in post mode :-(

Mary

Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
We've had snow for three days, it's cold and miserable. The snow
isn't deep but is causing delays on our local hills and the Pennines
are impassable on some roads. Round here cars are being abandoned,
two double decker buses broke down, all causing tailbacks, and
drivers not used to snow are struggling to control their cars. It
would be funny if it weren't dangerous.
This was the view of part of our garden from the bathroom window this
morning It's not a good pic because I had to use manual and I'm not
proficient at that yet but at least it keeps the ng going :-)

Looks great Mary, though something I wouldn't like to see in my yard. :-)

Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
We've had snow for three days, it's cold and miserable. The snow isn't
deep but is causing delays on our local hills and the Pennines are
impassable on some roads. Round here cars are being abandoned, two double
decker buses broke down, all causing tailbacks, and drivers not used to
snow are struggling to control their cars. It would be funny if it weren't
dangerous.

This was the view of part of our garden from the bathroom window this
morning It's not a good pic because I had to use manual and I'm not
proficient at that yet but at least it keeps the ng going :-)

Mary

I love the greyness and whiteness of it all, I think it would make a super
Christmas card, especially if you stuck a little purchased wreath sticker or
something on the top LH side. It's a great photo.

someone

Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
We've had snow for three days, it's cold and miserable. The snow
isn't deep but is causing delays on our local hills and the Pennines
are impassable on some roads. Round here cars are being abandoned,
two double decker buses broke down, all causing tailbacks, and
drivers not used to snow are struggling to control their cars. It
would be funny if it weren't dangerous.
This was the view of part of our garden from the bathroom window this
morning It's not a good pic because I had to use manual and I'm not
proficient at that yet but at least it keeps the ng going :-)

Looks great Mary, though something I wouldn't like to see in my yard. :-)

What, the snow or the cupressus?

:-)

There is still some lingering white on roofs but it's mostly gone. That was
winter, chaps!

Mary

Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, but I've got much better pictures of the garden in snow from
previous years. Yhis year's card will be us in Magdalena Bay, Svalbard, with
one of the beautiful glaciers behind us showing its green-blue edge. I took
dozens of pictures of the glacier, melt water and ice floes but one of the
speakers took one of us with it behind so that was that :-)

Mary

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:37:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

We've had snow for three days, it's cold and miserable. The snow isn't
deep
but is causing delays on our local hills and the Pennines are impassable
on
some roads. Round here cars are being abandoned, two double decker buses
broke down, all causing tailbacks, and drivers not used to snow are
struggling to control their cars. It would be funny if it weren't
dangerous.

This was the view of part of our garden from the bathroom window this
morning It's not a good pic because I had to use manual and I'm not
proficient at that yet but at least it keeps the ng going :-)

Mary

Not much! With such cold and grayness, it is a masterpiece.

Gosh, thanks!

Mary

Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

[...]

I made about 70 Christmas cards a few years ago using some of my Antarctic
images. But what happened? I ran out of blue in my printer cartridge! I'm
going to try for red and green this year ;-)

Why don't you post one of your Svalbard images here?

someone

Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

someone wrote:

Why don't you post one of your Svalbard images here?

I guess it's because she is polite and sticks by the name of the group.
However there is always alt.binaries.pictures.scenic or
alt.binaries.photos.originals, I'm sure Mary's photos of Svalbard would go
down a treat in those groups.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Maroochy wrote:
someone wrote:

Why don't you post one of your Svalbard images here?

I guess it's because she is polite and sticks by the name of the
group. However there is always alt.binaries.pictures.scenic or
alt.binaries.photos.originals, I'm sure Mary's photos of Svalbard
would go down a treat in those groups.

Whoops, sent before I finished. However have said the above, I'm sure we
would all like to see the photo here.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

someone wrote:

Why don't you post one of your Svalbard images here?

I guess it's because she is polite and sticks by the name of the group.

Don't know about polite but I don't like to do something which I know will
irritate some folk - although I hven't seen such irritability here.

However there is always alt.binaries.pictures.scenic or
alt.binaries.photos.originals, I'm sure Mary's photos of Svalbard would go
down a treat in those groups.

I daren't subscribe to any more groups, I've recently cut down from eighteen
to five because I was spending far too much time up here. But when we were
on land in the Arctic I did take pictures of a lot of flora with this group
in mind. I also bought a book on the Flora of Svalbard so that I could
identify them. When we were back on board I discovered that the book was all
in Norwegian! It does have Linnaean names so I'll be able to identify them -
or just appear to be knowledgeable and post them with Latin names :-)

Oops! Cat out of bag now!!!!

In fact I suspect that they are probably commonly known Alpines, mostly, and
that some here will be able to tell me what they are. That would be nice ...
:-) For starters ... this was taken in Longyearbyen, the capital.

I took almost 800 pictures by the way. Prepare to make yourself comfortable
:-) Of course, they weren't all wonderful because it was a new camera and I
wasn't familiar with it. Still not but I'm learning.

Mary

Attached Thumbnails
Not much to show here-img_0071-s.jpg