Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Poinisana Flowers-9266

"kris anthem um" wrote
hi what a beaut photo/tree. is the botanical name Delonix regia? i live
in tropical Queensland Aus. and they are quite common but still
spectacular when in flower and they are unrivalled as a shade tree,
just looking at the delicate fernlike folliage has a cooling/calming
effect.The one problem with them is they produce large root systems
that can break the surface of soil around base of tree thus creating
trip hazards and various other probs.

http://en.wikipedia.org:80/wiki/Royal_Poinciana

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Well perhaps, but would you cut it down?

No, I like it too much. :-)

Good.

We had to get a tree lopper in to cut it back where it was growing over
the neighbour's yard,

Bloomin' neighbours!

other then that we've let it go, the birds love it. :-)
BTW I spelt the name wrong, it's 'poinciana'.

Oh, thanks, but damn, I'll have to change the title of the picture in my
folder.

Mary

Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

kris anthem um wrote:

hi what a beaut photo/tree. is the botanical name Delonix regia? i
live in tropical Queensland Aus. and they are quite common but still
spectacular when in flower and they are unrivalled as a shade tree,
just looking at the delicate fernlike folliage has a cooling/calming
effect.The one problem with them is they produce large root systems
that can break the surface of soil around base of tree thus creating
trip hazards and various other probs.

Thanks, yes it is and I'm in SE Qld. :-)
Yes the roots can cause some problems, but the beauty of the tree,
surpasses the problems. :-)

It could be said that humans cause problems to the tree by tripping over the
roots ...

:-)

Mary

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote...
: Thanks, yes it is and I'm in SE Qld. :-)
: Yes the roots can cause some problems, but the beauty of
: the tree, surpasses the problems. :-)

Wow. For some reason I thought you lived in California here
in the states. I see the ozdebate now, usually snip the email
addresses out of posts. If Kris did not say Queensland, the
Qld. meant nothing.

A lot of your pictures end up getting the background colors
taken out and the background gets converted to black. For
the "Frangipani-9661" picture, do I see a smear or a smudge
there?

Thank you for ALL your beautiful photos.

--
Jim Carlock

Old 13-12-2008, 02:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jim Carlock wrote:

Wow. For some reason I thought you lived in California here
in the states. I see the ozdebate now, usually snip the email
addresses out of posts. If Kris did not say Queensland, the
Qld. meant nothing.

A lot of your pictures end up getting the background colors
taken out and the background gets converted to black. For
the "Frangipani-9661" picture, do I see a smear or a smudge
there?

I don't replace the backgrounds, I use a wide open aperture, take photos
late in the afternoon and chose flowers that have dark background foliage.
If you lighten one of my photos up, you will see the foliage. The "smudge"
you see is the leaves of the frangipani.

Thank you for ALL your beautiful photos.

Thank you for the comment.

Old 13-12-2008, 03:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" wrote...
: I don't replace the backgrounds, I use a wide open aperture,
: take photos late in the afternoon and chose flowers that have
: dark background foliage. If you lighten one of my photos up,
: you will see the foliage. The "smudge" you see is the leaves
: of the frangipani.

Thanks for the reply and explanation. It reminds me of the 35mm
Contax. It's been a long time since I've used it. Does your
Canon accept old 35mm lenses?

--
Jim Carlock

Old 13-12-2008, 04:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jim Carlock wrote:
"Maroochy" wrote...
I don't replace the backgrounds, I use a wide open aperture,
take photos late in the afternoon and chose flowers that have
dark background foliage. If you lighten one of my photos up,
you will see the foliage. The "smudge" you see is the leaves
of the frangipani.

Thanks for the reply and explanation. It reminds me of the 35mm
Contax. It's been a long time since I've used it. Does your
Canon accept old 35mm lenses?

Some will, some wont, depending on the mount, having said that, I am a
person of the digital age and can't be real sure of my facts, but, in the
past, have borrowed lens from my son's 35mm Canon SLR.