Old 26-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Lorraine Lawler

Default Winter Daisies - NW Indiana - Zone 5

Four years ago we bought two plants at a local fall festival that the
person called winter daisies (they had no plant tags). The next year
they bloomed; the next two years, the plants would grow well, then
individual stems would begin to die and by the fall, many of the stems
that weren't dead were less upright as if the weight of the stem
itself caused this. There were a few flowers. This spring I cut back
the new growth like I do for the hardy mums, but this has had no
effect and the stems are dying. Does anyone have any advice what we
could do to save these plants? Thanks - Lorraine
Old 28-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lorraine Lawler" wrote in message
Four years ago we bought two plants at a local fall festival that the
person called winter daisies (they had no plant tags). The next year
they bloomed; the next two years, the plants would grow well, then
individual stems would begin to die and by the fall, many of the stems
that weren't dead were less upright as if the weight of the stem
itself caused this. There were a few flowers. This spring I cut back
the new growth like I do for the hardy mums, but this has had no
effect and the stems are dying. Does anyone have any advice what we
could do to save these plants? Thanks - Lorraine

First, let's figure out what general category of plant you really have.
Sometimes the word "daisy" is applied to flowers that really aren't in that
family. Are the flowers constructed like the ones in this picture? And, what
color are your flowers?

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ... eyword=shasta

How big is the plant itself, in circumference? In other words, if you made a
circle with your arms like you were imitating a hug, is the plant bigger
than that circle, or???

Old 01-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Lorraine Lawler

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:14:30 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

[...]

Doug - Thank you for your reply.

Yes the flowers do look like the ones in this picture. Flowers are
white with yellow centers. When I clicked on more detail for shasta
daisies, it indicated that they bloomed June-July and longer if dead
flowers were removed. While I can't recall exactly when they start to
bloom since there haven't been many flowers in the last two years,
they never bloomed in June. The plant is 24-30" tall and that wide.

Lorraine
Old 01-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

OK. The reason I asked is that I was wondering about the growth habit of the
plant itself. Many plants, including some daisies, need to be dug up and
divided. In extreme cases, I've seen shasta daisies where the whole clump
was 5' wide, and the center 50% was dead. It's hard to say how long it takes
for a plant like that to need division. I suspect that if the planting hole
was not well-prepared, the plant might need it sooner.

A google search came up with quite a few hits about how to divide shasta
daisies. Even a very famous criminal wrote something about it:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...378&navLevel=4