Old 20-08-2005, 10:11 AM
THURSTON ACKERMAN

Default Marigolds suddenly dy

FamilyNet International Newsgate

We have had a the same problem with some planter boxs we had
seeded and developed nicely for our cematary stones. About
3 weeks after a very hot and relatively dry period in the
cematary they appeared to have died back. Brought them home
and with some daily watering (like their cousins boudering
our house) they are back to life again. Guess they kinda need
almost TLC to prosper as expected.

Stay young, OldAck.

GAFrom: "Gary"

GAI've had problems with marigolds for the past two or three years.
GAProbably a different issue than what Ellie describes. In my case, I've
GAplanted marigolds in pots in full sun for years and up until the past
GA2-3 years, they have done fine. The last few years when the hot part
GAof summer hits and we get our usual week or two of temps above 100 F,
GAthe marigolds just fry and die.
GAPreviously, I had no problems with marigolds in full sun and they
GAseemed to tolerate the heat just fine. Until recently, I thought
GAmarigolds were tough as nails! Some of my friends & neighbors complain
GAof similar problems. This is just bizarre!
GAAny ideas on what might be happening?
GAThanks,
GAGary

GA--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
GA * Origin: http://groups.google.com (8:8/2003)
---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ Eat your desert first. Life is too short.

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.familynet-international.org

Old 21-08-2005, 04:29 PM
DigitalVinyl

I see a lot of poor performance for me this year. I'm in the northeast
us. I chalk most of it up to me, but I think the hot, dry summer can
take some of the credit.

This is the first year that I wasn't able to maintain a good planting
and watering schedule and many of my plants have shown very poor
results this year. I have a number of marigolds and Sweet Alyssum that
really seem stunted. Last year I had bushes by now. They still look
like potted plants this year. The Nasturtiums, petunias, and
calendulas are going gang busters. Flowers that bloomed beuatifully
the last two years died or wilted badly. Tomatoes are the ugliest,
cracked, scared twisted shapes. I've had about 8, a few one-pounders,
rot on the vine cause I didn't pick them quick enough(more neglect on
my part). The cracks are letting in bugs and they are rotting fast
with those wounds. All my pepper plants have produced less than a
dozen of the smallest variety peppers(ancho, & jalapenos). Normally
I'd be eating them daily about now, and I've got more plants this year
to boot. Even the Zucchini are being stingy. I've harvested only five
from three plants all summer. My three yellow squash plants, now down
to one, have never produced at all. And my four cucumber plants are
just three-foot long stringy vines. I've harvested four cukes to date
and I have no flowers outside. Last year I had bushes and pickled the
first twelves pounds in mid July and was still harvesting them daily.

I had no problems with broccoli, although all of my cauliflower
stopped with the early spring heat. My herbs did well.

I tried some new varieties this year, but I can't fault them
specifically. Just have to hope next year will be a little less
extreeme in heat and I'll have bettter time managament.

"THURSTON ACKERMAN" wrote:

[...]

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph